HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   do the do the Crockett 32 shoot as good as the TC rifles ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/414114-do-do-crockett-32-shoot-good-tc-rifles.html)

lastoftheloaners 06-03-2017 06:02 AM

do the do the Crockett 32 shoot as good as the TC rifles ?

Cherokee: Barrel: 24” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) Trigger: double set, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1994, Ignition: percussion

Seneca: Barrel: 27” octagonal, twist: 1:30 (32) Trigger: double set, Caliber: 32, Stock: American Walnut, Status: discontinued 1987, Ignition: percussion

crockett: Barrel 32" octagonal. twist 1/48 (32) cal double set trigger

I never owned or shot any of the 3 rifles . asking y'all which is the one most accurate for squirrel rifle.

cayugad 06-03-2017 06:16 AM

The Crockett rifle will be much easier to find. It has a longer barrel. And actually many .32 caliber rifles come with a 1-48 twist. Since they are roundball rifles. And price wise the Crockett might be a better choice. I never shot a .32 rifle. But have seen posts of those with the Traditions Crockett rifles and they seem to do real well. in the posts.

I personally have considered a small bore custom rifle. But Colerain makes a .36 caliber 1-48 twist and does not make the .32. But I figure that .36 might be big enough for things like a fox, or perhaps even a coyote if you could get in range. I want a flintlock when I get one. But that Crockett is a nice looking rifle.

toytruck 06-07-2017 03:29 PM

I owned a TC Cherokee .32 with the hunter trigger (single trigger)back in the late 80's, it was a very accurate rifle at 25yds on the range. I forget the powder I used, but most likely Pyrodex P, 20-30gr. and a roundball/patch.

I couldn't hit a squirrel to save me, guess my eyes were telling on me even then.. I do remember shooting a ground hog at about 50 yds. or so and he went into his den, no sign of blood. I thought I had missed, but couple days later my son killed a ground hog with his .54 New Englander and it had a small hole in the gut. He said it was acting sick.

I sold my Cherokee for just what I had in it after that. Now they are worth three times what I paid for mine.

bronko22000 06-07-2017 05:03 PM

I had a .32 Cherokee also and although it shot well I would prefer a .36. The .32s seem to foul really fast. I loaded mine with 25 gr of FFFg and a .310 ball .015 patch.

Slowburn 06-09-2017 10:00 PM

I own a little .32 crocket rifle. I've killed a ton of squirrels with that little jewel. For squirrels I load a .310 ball and precut pillow ticking (double patched), black bear tallow for lube and a small 11 gr charge of pyro-p. I do swab between shots when hunting also due to the small bore fouling. It shoots 1 ragged hole at 25 yds. I keep my shots from 35 yds and in. I also have a pedersoli .36 flintlock. It shoots great but the .36 is really to much for squirrels IMO.