HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   The Shooting Bag (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/413605-shooting-bag.html)

MountainDevil54 05-08-2017 01:42 PM

The Shooting Bag

Just working on an article for the magazine, but I'd like to hear what all you carry in your shooting bag during a hunt.

Im still getting all my pictures and info organized right but I will edit this post and include pictures of my gear and what I take as a bare minimum.

bronko22000 05-08-2017 03:03 PM

I carry a small "tool" kit in my bag. Because I'm either carrying a flinter or caplock most of the time here are the contents"
vent/nipple pick
extra vent liner and nipple
flint
allen wrench to fit vent liner
T/C combo nipple wrench, wedge pin puller
4 way screwdriver (the kind you put on a key ring)
another allen wrench to replace flint
small nail modified to re-knap flint
couple Q-tips and patches
patch worm
bullet puller
cleaning jag
couple small dental brushes (to clean out ventliner)

The rest of the contents in the bag include:
LED flashlight/batteries
field dressing gloves
folding knife
extra capper and flash pan charger
pelvic saw
hand warmers
matches and fire starter
compass
jerky and granola bars
hunting license and tags
water proofed cloth to cover flash pan
drag rope/strap

younggun308 05-08-2017 05:34 PM

I don't have every one of the non-BP specific items bronko mentioned, but some things I do carry he did not mention are:

water
"BUTT-OUT" tool for field dressing
(speaking of which) a roll of toilet paper
fixed-blade knife
apples (I admit I toss the core in the woods when finished, but it hasn't helped me get a deer, yet)

Muley Hunter 05-09-2017 05:14 AM

A shooting bag for hunting to me means a small bag with just the items I need to shoot.

Everything else goes in a haversack on my back. Which besides some of the items bronko mention, but also everything needed to skin and quarter, food, first aid kit, and extra clothing like rain gear etc.

The shooting bag should be easy to get in and out of for a fast reload.

toytruck 05-09-2017 08:01 AM

My possibles bag just has speed loaders including powder, bullets and primer and some extra patches and finger cots in case of rain. The rest goes in a backpack if I'm going to be far from the truck.

Younggun how do you like that butt out tool? I broke down an got one two years ago and it just flat out works! I hate that part of field dressing and this tool makes it alot easier. I take a twist tie to close off the pulled out intestine and no mess an no tainted meat. Mine goes with me as well!

younggun308 05-09-2017 10:24 AM

Truck, I also think the butt-out tool is excellent. To be honest, I've been using it long enough now I don't really remember what it was like not having it. My family were "early converts," you could say.
What has infuriated me, however, is not having a pelvic saw or hatchet the past couple times. Getting the bladder out intact is just so nerve-wracking to me.

bronko22000 05-09-2017 12:54 PM

The reason i put all those things in my bag is that is the only bag I carry. My "possibles" bag is NOT the traditional 1 or 2 pocket deal but a modern version of a hunting shoulder bag.
Some of the items I didn't mention are TP, bullet starter and preloaded speed loaders. The last 2 are in a separate pocket that is quick and easy to get to. My capper or pan charger is normally in my jacket pocket.
I guess that is why its not called a shooting bag but a possibles bag. Because it has everything you can possibly need?!

Muley Hunter 05-09-2017 01:06 PM

True, but Jon asked about a shooting bag.

toytruck 05-09-2017 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by younggun308 (Post 4303832)
Truck, I also think the butt-out tool is excellent. To be honest, I've been using it long enough now I don't really remember what it was like not having it. My family were "early converts," you could say.
What has infuriated me, however, is not having a pelvic saw or hatchet the past couple times. Getting the bladder out intact is just so nerve-wracking to me.

I have to agree on the bladder...if its full I can cut around it on top of the pelvis and it usually comes out intact. I haven't split the pelvic bone in many years now. I don't believe its needed now with the buttout tool. I find its easier to cut the hams off the pelvis too, just my opinion.

bronko22000 05-10-2017 04:46 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4303850)
True, but Jon asked about a shooting bag.

You're correct. Maybe we best as Jon what he is actually referring to. So Jon do you mean a shooting bag or possibles bag?