Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

New to me .45 cal

Old 04-13-2017, 10:19 AM
Spike

Default New to me .45 cal

hello all I am a toal newb to blackpowder. I just acquired a Tingle MFG .45 cal muzzleloader in awesome condition. It shoots amazing. I was able to hit a 6 inch target at 80 yards with open sights. Can anyone give me some insight to this brand ? I am unable to attach a pic. It looks like a Hawkins with brass but plate brass trigger guard set trigger peep sights and a pewter end cap on the stock.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

Bob Tingle was the gun maker. Tingle Manufacturing out of Shelbyville, Ind. is all I could find on them. From what I just read they were a very good well made rifle. All I would say is keep the loads under 100 grains to be safe, less is more with these rifles. Keep it clean and enjoy your find.
Old 04-13-2017, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

welcome to the forum also...
Old 04-13-2017, 05:01 PM
Spike

Update. I shot it yesterday. 80 great at about 90 yards is dead on. But the percussion cap only fires on a second hammer strike. Any thoughts. I thought maybe a worn nipple
Old 04-13-2017, 08:31 PM
Banned

Either a fat nipple or the lock screws are over tightened.
Old 04-14-2017, 04:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Either a fat nipple or the lock screws are over tightened.
Also possible that the mainspring is getting weak. I'm not sure whether or not the Tingle had a coil or leaf spring (probably leaf, not many custom builders used coil springs) so that's something to consider. As MD suggests, try a new nipple first (make sure you use the proper threaded nipple) and make sure there's nothing rubbing or binding inside the lock. Lock screw(s) that are over tightened can cause this. If the problem persists there are some good folks out there who can tune and/or replace lock parts. Dixon Muzzleloading and Track of the Wolf are a few to consider.

BPS
Old 04-18-2017, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Posted here a while ago looking for fellow Tingle owners! I like my .45, though the process of cocking/setting the trigger is a bit odd.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:11 PM
Spike

I love my new to me tingle. Just hard to find info on them. Accurate as heck. My only issue is the fact that the cap would t fire on the first attempt it needs a second strike to fire.
Old 04-19-2017, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Do you pick the nipple between shots? That will help sometimes. Could be the nipple. One reason I cringe when I see people dry fire their traditional muzzle loaders. They eventually flatten the top of the nipple and it can make seating the cap difficult. Also, when you pull the nipple for cleaning, be sure to check the drum for fouling.

I actually have a rifle that does the same thing.
Old 04-19-2017, 12:22 PM
Spike

Now that you mention it the top of the nipple looks flattened. Also when I fire a cap I can see that only half of the nipple is contacted by the cap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.