Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Ordered a kit pistol

Old 03-07-2017, 11:08 PM
Banned

Default Ordered a kit pistol

Finally got down to it!

Traditions Kentucky .50cal percussion. Now I will have a sidearm for hog hunting! I'll call it our little trapping pistol when Floyd and I go out checking traps in the mornings.

I'll do my best to match the stain and browned furniture to my St.Louis Hawken rifle.

I think I'll only bed the trigger assembly on this one. I plan on keeping the charges fairly light around 20gr 2fg, just an up close and personal kind of pistol for rendezvous and hog trapping!
Old 03-08-2017, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Finally got down to it!

Traditions Kentucky .50cal percussion. Now I will have a sidearm for hog hunting! I'll call it our little trapping pistol when Floyd and I go out checking traps in the mornings.

I'll do my best to match the stain and browned furniture to my St.Louis Hawken rifle.

I think I'll only bed the trigger assembly on this one. I plan on keeping the charges fairly light around 20gr 2fg, just an up close and personal kind of pistol for rendezvous and hog trapping!
That will be a nice pistol.I built a pedersoli pistol for trail walks. Why bed trigger assembly?
Old 03-08-2017, 06:16 AM
Dominant Buck

How exciting! I always liked those kind of pistols. I had a pistol like that once in .45 caliber made by Jukar. And believe it or not, it was a pretty accurate pistol. A very good friend of mine was constantly in debt. And he would often approach me and ask to borrow money. Seems he was always in a bind. And to his credit he would pay it back. But he gave me this Jukar pistol one day, as he said "for interest" for helping a friend out when he was having hard times.

I can remember sitting on the back steps at my buddies farm and shooting an old metal trash can out in the yard with that pistol. I don't think I ever missed hitting the trash can. Even my friend was amazed at how accurate it was. We kind of figured it was a noise maker is all. But time after time, I would pop that trash can. And that might not seem like much to some, but that can was about the width of a person's shoulders. So I figured in the early days, a person could have actually done some damage for one shot. After that I guess it was nothing but a club.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

They're fun. I have a Lyman in .54 caliber. They are really accurate. The only thing, to line up the sights you really have to cock your wrist at an odd angle. And the triggers are backwards. The set trigger is in the front! But I see your's is a single trigger so that's not a problem.
Old 03-08-2017, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Jon... are you gonna give that pistol stock a good rubdown with Ray's Gun Wax after you get the stain color you like? This build would be a good one to try it out on...

BPS
Old 03-08-2017, 08:22 PM
Banned

BPS, Yep, exactly what I plan on doing with this one. I still have a lot left over after doing my stocks, leather items and my hunting boots LOL.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:23 PM
Fork Horn

I have exactly the same pistol but in .45cal. Using REAL bullets in it and its the right medicine on a warthog at up to 25meters.
I'm getting the best grouping with REAL bullets and a light 25gr load of 3F powder.
You get used to the odd hold after a bit of shooting, enjoy mine a lot...
Old 03-09-2017, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Must be a pretty generic pattern for the most part, I have a CVA Kentucky .45 perc. pistol that I built back in '78 that looks identical to that. It shoots quite well with 20 grains of fffg and a patched .440 ball. I've never tried any conicals in mine.

BPS
Old 03-09-2017, 07:16 PM
Banned

This style kit has been around for a very long time and made by a handful of companies,both Spanish and Italian.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
This style kit has been around for a very long time and made by a handful of companies,both Spanish and Italian.
When I bought mine, I had decided I wanted the flintlock model. The local dealer I bought it from had both the flint and perc. kits. By the time I decided to get off my duff and buy one, all he had left was the percussion model so I bought it. The same dealer had two .31 caliber "Baby Dragoon" Colt reproductions in his showcase. Same deal, by the time I decided I wanted one and went back, he told me a customer had bought both of them a week earlier!!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.