Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Ordered a kit pistol

Old 03-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

Wow, looking really nice, like the deeper colour although my personal preference is lighter coloured wood on my own rifles
Old 03-19-2017, 11:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

How come you didn't remove the seam mark left by the mold from the back of the trigger? Just noticed that...

BPS
Old 03-20-2017, 12:06 AM
Banned

I can wipe that out, I just don't really think it matters much for a trapper pistol.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
I can wipe that out, I just don't really think it matters much for a trapper pistol.
Well no, it doesn't... but you've done such nice work on the rest of it, it seemed kinda odd that you'd leave it that way.

BPS
Old 03-20-2017, 04:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I was waiting until you got most of it finished to comment. That looks really nice Jon. They're a hoot to shoot too. I carried mine a couple times in hopes of shooting a deer with it. But I limited my shots to 35 yards and haven't had the chance yet.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

LOL true, but a little advice would have been nice. I couldnt put this much work into something and then just slather it on and have to strip it and re-do it again LOL. Its okay, the wax went onto the stock already. Got the barrel finished today, now doing lock,hammer and a couple screws in browning solution.
Hey Jon...

Just thinking, but maybe you could take a section of a hard maple or birch board that could represent something that Traditions uses for a stock blank and stain it like you do and then experiment with Ray's as a final hand rub for the finish instead of Tru-oil. That way you're not wasting time stripping a stock if you don't like the outcome. Just a suggestion...

BPS
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Hey Jon...

Just thinking, but maybe you could take a section of a hard maple or birch board that could represent something that Traditions uses for a stock blank and stain it like you do and then experiment with Ray's as a final hand rub for the finish instead of Tru-oil. That way you're not wasting time stripping a stock if you don't like the outcome. Just a suggestion...

BPS
Sounds perfect, I have a bunker stock I can sand, throw some stain on and give it a try.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds perfect, I have a bunker stock I can sand, throw some stain on and give it a try.
Nice...

That way you'll know. I don't think Dick was BS'ing me when he told me he had a custom builder using Ray's as a hand rubbed finish for his stocks. Too bad that guy wouldn't respond to your email and give you some info, some people are just that way.

BPS
Old 03-27-2017, 05:07 PM
Banned

20grs 2fg Olde Eynsford, .015" patches lubed in Frontier's anti-rust & patch lube, .490" round ball. 3 shots @ 12 yards distance. It seems I will need a higher sight, But I'll play with it for a while before swapping it out!

4 days without electric, other than the generator running a lamp, computers, tv and internet. 1,100 people without power in our area after 1 1/2 feet of nice icy snow fell on us and broke trees and power lines.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-27-2017, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice group Jon... Yea, you need a higher front sight.

Here's what I would do... fold a short piece of black electrical tape onto the front sight blade making sure it sticks up higher than the existing blade height by 1/8" or more. Shoot the pistol with the same load and at the same distance. If you're hitting low, use scissors and trim a little bit off the top of the tape.
Continue the process until you get it hitting where you want then measure the height from the flat of the barrel to the top of the tape. That will tell you exactly what you need for height of whatever front sight you decide to use.

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.