Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
The .45 GM/Renegade - Big Lead/Five Shots/150 Yards >

The .45 GM/Renegade - Big Lead/Five Shots/150 Yards

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

The .45 GM/Renegade - Big Lead/Five Shots/150 Yards

Old 05-30-2017, 04:20 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Semisane
After a lengthy range session with the H&A Minuteman on Saturday, my thoughts on Sunday morning were for another long session, but this time with Ed Mehlig's big 465 grain bullets in the .45 Renegade.

I knew the last time I shot that gun I had it sighted in for 150 yards with those bullets. So after hauling the gun and gear out to the shooting bench, I put a target on the 150 yard frame and took a shot.

OUCH!!! I'm not in the least recoil shy. And though that load in the Renegade does have some stout recoil it has never bothered me before. But as it turns out, that long session on Saturday left my shoulder a little tender.

It was at once pretty clear there would be no long session today. I toughed it out for five shots and was quite happy to quit after the fifth one. I wish I had packed along some light recoiling .40/200 grain XTP's so I could continue shooting, but they were back home. So it was five shots, then clean the gun and head home.

Here's the target.

was the bullets out of the same newspaper as the ones you shot last time? just thinking what might have happened we know these 465 group better
Old 05-30-2017, 02:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have one of those 1:30 barrels for my T/C Hawken. I cast some 405 gr bullet at .457" and after checking the hardness I sized them down to .451" to try out of that barrel as soon as this crazy weather clears up and me and the missus don't have any Dr. appointments.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:21 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
I have one of those 1:30 barrels for my T/C Hawken. I cast some 405 gr bullet at .457" and after checking the hardness I sized them down to .451" to try out of that barrel as soon as this crazy weather clears up and me and the missus don't have any Dr. appointments.
interesting to hear how they shoot and which bullet mold you used. my GM renegade barrel wont group greased 465 gr / .451 near as good as they do sized to .450 but it measures for .451
Old 05-17-2018, 08:33 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by edmehlig
Recipe for Bob’s Best Bullet Lube

Color Coded

Super Blue .451 caliber Lube
Updated 12-18-05

3 Tablespoons Heavy Mineral Oil
2 Tablespoons Odorless Tasteless Caster Oil
3 Tablespoons Anhydrous Lanolin, slightly rounded
1 pound White Beeswax
2 teaspoons Blue Candle Wax Dye

Recipe

Place mineral oil, caster oil, and anhydrous lanolin in a pot to heat. Once the anhydrous lanolin has melted, bring the mix to medium heat and try not to let the mix smoke. Add beeswax and stir until wax has melted completely. Then add the dye. Pour while hot into container (I prefer to use a small 1.5 quart crock-pot). Do not allow any sediment to enter the container by straining the mix through a strainer and cheesecloth.

This lube works very well with the Star lubri-sizer on a medium heat. It flows well into the lube grooves. If you do not have the heated base, this lube will not work. This lube is not sticky, and stays in the lube groove on a conical very nicely. It works well in high heat situations without running or coming off in your hand. Enjoy!!
What is the job of the castor oil? Just curious...Thanks, Alan