Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Bog Pod & Flintlock shooting

Old 01-30-2017, 11:10 AM
Banned

Default Bog Pod & Flintlock shooting

Taking a break to cool off now. Its Almost 60* and drop dead gorgeous!

After shooting the target, I decided to reload on a hot barrel, walk up to take a pic of the target and then come down to shoot. Well, I forgot I reloaded already, so Now I am getting ready to go back out and pull the second ball and charge Can't believe I did that.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:36 PM.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

I guess that happens to almost everyone Jon. Not me of course. But I've been known to occasionally seat a ball firmly before I realized I hadn't poured a charge down the bore first!! The infamous dry ball load.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did that at the range once. I loaded the gun and just as I finished everybody said they were going down the change targets. I thought I might as well do it too and did that. When I came back I forgot I had loaded it and loaded again.

I remembered just in time. I almost shot it. I had no ball puller with me and my day was done. I was pissed. Although not as pissed as i'd have been if I fired it. Providing I survived.

I never went to a range to shoot again.
Old 01-30-2017, 12:49 PM
Banned

I got'em out easy. I pulled the first and then figured since that patch is so oversize, I may as well pull the other as well to make sure theres not a ball of powder sitting on top of that other ball. I got some interesting pictures to show as well!
Old 01-30-2017, 04:55 PM
Banned

pics are up
Old 01-31-2017, 08:27 AM
Dominant Buck

I should not say this but that is one thing I have never done. In all my years of shooting. I have checked the barrel with the ramrod often to make sure I am loaded but never double balled. Now dry ball ... we are not even going to talk about that.

I remember teaching a young man with a new ST. Louis Hawken rifle at my house and he dry balled it, first thing. We had a good laugh of course and I showed him how to clear it with powder in the drum instead of pulling. But after he had it all set to go, he dry balled it the second time. I wanted to reach out and slap him along side the head but instead told him the black powder went under the ball, not in the drum.

Things happen. And its easy to do. At least you caught the mistake. And that is some darn nice shooting you did there. Very impressive.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Can't say I know of anyone who's been into muzzleloading for any length of time who hasn't dry balled one. I have never double charged or double loaded one (knock on a wood product) but I've definitely dry balled 'em.

BPS
Old 01-31-2017, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I bought my Mrs. a new crossbow for Christmas. When we picked it up at the dealer I bought it from, they had it all ready to go but he had her shoot it some on their range so she could get familiar with it. This is the rest they had her shooting from so now she wants one!! I think it would work great for her when she's hunting from her pop-up blind.

http://www.basspro.com/Caldwell-Dead...duct/10213272/

BPS
Old 02-01-2017, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Stopped by my neighbor's place on my way home from town today to shoot the bull for awhile. I was telling him that Sportsman's Guide had a really good price on the Caldwell rest I posted the link to. He said he's a member so he could get it for me at the $71.99 member price with free shipping so I had him order me one. Can't beat that price, considering that Bass Pro Shop we visited in Auburn NY last month wanted $149.95 and the dealer I bought her crossbow from wanted $119.95.

BPS