Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Speaking of Old Eyes and Iron Sights >

Speaking of Old Eyes and Iron Sights

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Speaking of Old Eyes and Iron Sights

Old 09-06-2016, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Speaking of Old Eyes and Iron Sights

I'm having cataract surgery on my left eye next week, and on the right eye a month later. Will I be back in business with respect to iron sights?
Old 09-06-2016, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know. My vision is just crappy at close like reading. My distance vision is still better than average. After about 4 feet everything is clear as a bell. I know my Aunt in law had cataract surgery several years ago and the old broad can see better than I can now! Can hear better too!! And she's 95!!
Old 09-07-2016, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

It could be VERY close. There's no guarantee you'll see perfect. However they got me so close, I can pass a drivers test without any corrective lens. Still, its not perfect and I still need a -1.25 lens, although I can see open sights fairly well.

Your life is about to change for the better. You'll notice colors and how bright white is again.
Old 09-07-2016, 03:50 AM
Typical Buck

Van, good luck with the surgery! It may help you see the target better, but no guarantee it will help you shoot better!! LOL
Old 09-07-2016, 04:20 AM
Boone & Crockett

It may help you see the target better, but no guarantee it will help you shoot better!! LOL
Ed, you may have identified the real issue.
Old 09-07-2016, 06:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Whether or not one can see iron sights is dependent on the shape of the plastic replacement lens. The replacement lens determines the distance at which one can see sharply. I made it clear to my Doctor, that i wanted to be able to see best, far far away, so he installed lenses that satisfied my wish. Sitting here at the computer, and typing this, i am wearing reading glasses; i cannot see clearly, this close, without help.

These days i can see targets just fine, but cannot focus on the front sight. My solution is to use a 1X scope, which places both the target, and the cross hair in the same plane; optical infinity.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:12 AM
Dominant Buck

I had both eyes done about two years ago. I too insisted on being able to see long distance. They corrected my eyes to the point that I too can pass a drivers test without glasses, but as stated I wear a 1.75 magnification dollar store reading glasses when at the computer. Without glasses I am actually better then 20/20 in one eye. The other is just a but off.

As for the shooting part. You will see the target wonderful. The sights you might find just a hair blurry when you focus out there. But you will get used to it. And you will really see a benefit when shooting with a scope.
Old 09-07-2016, 11:28 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good luck with the surgery Semi. I hope it all works out.
Old 09-09-2016, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

I had it about 3 years ago and love it!!! No more glasses or contacts..

I did open up the rear sights on my flinters but other than that everything is ok...

Good Luck!!!
Old 09-15-2016, 12:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Left eye done yesterday. Easy-peasy. Post-op follow up about an hour ago - 20/20 and crystal clear. I can't believe the difference in brightness and sharpness between the left and right eye. The right eye scheduled for mid-October. Can't wait.

Last edited by Semisane; 09-15-2016 at 12:21 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.