HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Grafs black powder ? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/411588-grafs-black-powder.html)

MountainDevil54 01-25-2017 05:21 PM

yes clean burning, close to the same velocity as swiss, accurate. Look at my video in the bridgers patches post, 70gr olde eynsford is what I used.

GoexBlackhorn 01-25-2017 05:44 PM

I love me some Goex FFF in everything.:guiness:

ModernPrimitive 01-26-2017 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4291890)
yes clean burning, close to the same velocity as swiss, accurate. Look at my video in the bridgers patches post, 70gr olde eynsford is what I used.

Watched it earlier- Nice!

Muley Hunter 01-26-2017 12:36 PM

I've always been suspicious of Olde Enysford. I wondered how they got that extra power for such a cheap price. We know with American labor it's hard to compete with foreign countries. If you've ever seen how Swiss is made you'd see all the extra steps they go through making their powder. How can Goex do it so cheap when making OE?

I called Goex to talk to them about OE a couple of years ago. I was trying to get them to admit it wasn't a pure black powder formula. They never did, but did tell me their goal was to match Swiss powder. He said they couldn't quite do it, but came close. OE doesn't have the power of Swiss, but it's much closer than regular Goex.

Since Hodgdon owns Goex and makes Pyrodex. I still think something is funny with the OE formula. OE is only $2.00 a lb more than regular Goex, but it's $5.00 a lb cheaper than Swiss. How did they do that?

MountainDevil54 01-26-2017 05:48 PM

Swiss imports their powder. Higher cost for both buyer and seller.

Muley Hunter 01-26-2017 06:01 PM

If that were true Graf's (Shuetzen) would be high too. It's the cheapest powder we can buy.

super_hunt54 01-26-2017 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54 (Post 4292022)
Swiss imports their powder. Higher cost for both buyer and seller.

It's not just that. Their labor cost is high as well. Even higher than ours. As Pete said, it is a VERY detailed process to make Swiss the top Black powder on the market at this time. And yes OE is close in power but no it isn't as clean burning. BUT it is plenty clean enough! I will still use Swiss almost exclusively but I will probably start using some OE here and there on days when I am feeling really froggy and want to put some serious amounts of lead downrange. I seriously love my BH209 but that chit is EXPENSIVE to be loading my BP cartridge guns with!

bronko22000 01-27-2017 05:38 AM

I'd like to give Swiss a try. Any one know where I can buy some in eastern PA or who the distributors are? Does Shyda's in Lebanon carry it? Or Ron Shirk's?

Muley Hunter 01-27-2017 05:54 AM

I have to buy online and just whine about the Hazmat fee.

Lately i've bought all my BP from Graf's.

bronko22000 01-27-2017 09:19 AM

If I were to buy in bulk then the hazmat fee wouldn't be much of a problem. I can get Goex just down the road anytime. I would like to give Swiss a shot and see how it is. Especially in my .54s and .58