HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   some of My Favorite (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/411527-some-my-favorite.html)

Mr.Flintlock 01-22-2017 06:35 AM

some of My Favorite

These are some of my favorite hunting rifles, which I built myself. They have been cleaned, serviced and are now ready for storage.

caplock 01-22-2017 07:37 AM

Wow,nice! Some of those look too nice to shoot much less hunt with.

bronko22000 01-22-2017 07:46 AM

Storage? If I had those I would have at least one out every week to shoot and show off. Beautiful pieces.

Mr.Flintlock 01-22-2017 10:21 AM

I was reminded that I didn't tell anything about these rifles. top to bottom

. The top one is a 45 caliber Southern Mountain Rifle. 36"GM barrel/Davis triggers/Chambers delux Golden Age lock.
. Plains style rifle .58 cal, 32' GM barrel/L&R Hawken lock/Davis triggers
. Lancaster style .58 caliber GM barrel/ L&R classic lock/ Davis triggers
. This rifle is a mish-mash of parts that I put together. Modified T.C. stock and triggers, L&R drop in lock and GM 54 caliber barrel cut to 33"
. Last is an old CVA mountain rifle that I bought as a kit in 1980. I recently converted it to flint ignition

I'll add that all of these rifles have put deer and/or hogs in my freezer.

Mr.Flintlock 01-22-2017 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4291316)
Storage? If I had those I would have at least one out every week to shoot and show off. Beautiful pieces.

I do try to shoot once a week but it rarely happens but I do shoot at least once a month. The little .45 SMR at the top gets shot the most often.

GoexBlackhorn 01-22-2017 01:27 PM

I have three questions
1) What in those two white jugs with blue caps?
2) What in that white canister with a green stripe?
3) What's that in the glass candy dish that's wrapped in brown paper?

OH!... BTW....really nice half-stocks there. I hate full-stock MLs. A real PITA to clean. That first flintlock at the top has a really small trigger guard. Is that a single trigger, or do your kids shoot that one?

Are you the same Mr. Flintlock that I have ordered Mr. Flintlock's Patch Lube from.... maybe changed your name from George Sutton to David?

Looks like five questions....... sorry!

Muley Hunter 01-22-2017 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by caplock (Post 4291313)
Wow,nice! Some of those look too nice to shoot much less hunt with.

No gun is that nice. It's an insult to the maker to not hunt a gun. Might as well not bother putting a bore in a barrel if it's not going to be shot.

ModernPrimitive 01-22-2017 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mr.Flintlock (Post 4291340)
I do try to shoot once a week but it rarely happens but I do shoot at least once a month. The little .45 SMR at the top gets shot the most often.

was gonna say, they all look great, but the SMR has got my attention!

going by the pics, you started with a chunk of maple?

cayugad 01-22-2017 04:27 PM

Very nice looking flintlocks there! Very pretty wood.

Mr.Flintlock 01-22-2017 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive (Post 4291393)
was gonna say, they all look great, but the SMR has got my attention!

going by the pics, you started with a chunk of maple?

Actually, the stock was a pre-carve from Pecatonica River. It was semi shaped and inlet for barrel and drilled for ramrod. The stock grade is CM3. I had to cut in lock, triggers, thimbles, nose cap, toe plate cut for but plate and do the final shaping of the stock. I did a pictorial on the entire process on Facebook. 78 pictures in all.