Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions... >

1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...

Old 01-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

TC uses LocTite from what I recall. It's been a while since I removed a site on a TC barrel. Put your flathead SD in and gently tap a few times with a hammer. That should break them loose. They can be a pain in the rear.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Make sure you use a properly fitting screwdriver. You can also try heating the screws with a propane torch for a bit and then try to loosen them. Before you apply any penetrating oil let them cool to touch. Try Kroil brand penetrating oil, WD-40 won't do it.

BPS
Old 01-04-2017, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh crap, I forgot he said this rifle was from the 80's! I don't think they used LocTite back then. They just used the biggest forearmed man on the planet to tighten the screws Or it always seemed that way to me! Not to mention I would like to find the man who invented the slotted screw (flathead) and beat him over the head repeatedly with my biggest screwdriver! BPS's suggestion of heat is probably going to be your best answer.
Old 01-05-2017, 04:11 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys, I'll try the heat and see what happens. 95% sure I have correct screwdriver size. Lord knows I have 100 sizes and it seems I have 3 that are a great fit. Last night it almost seemed like the screwdriver would break before it slipped out. Those screws are in there good. Thanks again
Old 01-05-2017, 05:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you continue to have problems buy am impact screw driver, tho the power tool the hand tool. You hit it with a hammer and it will help twist the screw. Most work in both directions. You don't have to buy it here, this is just to show you what they look like. They are not expensive and have lots of uses. http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html
Old 01-05-2017, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
If you continue to have problems buy am impact screw driver, tho the power tool the hand tool. You hit it with a hammer and it will help twist the screw. Most work in both directions. You don't have to buy it here, this is just to show you what they look like. They are not expensive and have lots of uses. http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html
This is on the money. Those usually also come with excellent bits to fit every type screw perfectly.

With a few years in machine shops and millwright welder I've got a couple other tricks up my sleeve.

The more time you've got the more gentle you can be with it. BE GENTLE with that impact driver and BE GENTLE with that torch. A propane torch is plenty to ruin the heat treat on that barrel. Using the impact driver you can use the pen oil and the driver together making sure there is always oil available to the screw threads with any minuscule movement and just tapping the driver repeatedly. Over and over and over more times than I want to type if you have the time and set it aside to soak intermittently.

There are two types of Locktite, red and blue. The blue is probably what they used if they used any and it is intended to release with heat.

Just the tapping and the use of a hair drier is enough heat if you do it repeatedly eventually it will just move and you'll wonder if it was ever tight. The temp changes between the screw and the steel around it will "suck" in that oil a little each time it warms or cools.
Old 01-05-2017, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have changed out sights on some of my T/C rifles over the years and have never found any of them to be loc-tighted in place. My guess is that they're rusted in place (judging by the looks of that barrel), that's why the Kroil should be helpful.

Hair dryer?...Really? A heat gun maybe...

BPS
Old 01-05-2017, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure about their sidelocks BPS but they do use it on many of their rifles. Don't know if it's "LocTite" per say but they use some form of the stuff. As far as using a hair drier, it could work. At least some of them put out pretty good heat. Plenty to loosen LocTite enough to be turned out. Heat gun would be better but many don't have them. Most households have a hair drier in them though.
Old 01-05-2017, 02:49 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
I have changed out sights on some of my T/C rifles over the years and have never found any of them to be loc-tighted in place. My guess is that they're rusted in place (judging by the looks of that barrel), that's why the Kroil should be helpful.

Hair dryer?...Really? A heat gun maybe...

BPS
Heat gun is even better.

If you have one.

I'd risk the torch first before I'd go buy a heat gun just for this job though.
Old 01-05-2017, 03:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Not sure about their sidelocks BPS but they do use it on many of their rifles. Don't know if it's "LocTite" per say but they use some form of the stuff. As far as using a hair drier, it could work. At least some of them put out pretty good heat. Plenty to loosen LocTite enough to be turned out. Heat gun would be better but many don't have them. Most households have a hair drier in them though.
LocTite blue is good stuff. It was designed not so much to lock the screw (although it does), but to fill the threads so they won't loosen under vibration. I used to machine parts for and assemble jaw chucks 4" through 12" diameter and we used the blue on all the lock screws for the jaw pivot pins, top plate bolts, counter balance weight screws etc., basically anything that had a torque spec. or anything we didn't want to move and never had anything come apart under extreme usage.

I use it on sight screws, base mount and ring screws, hammer screws or anything you may need or want to remove later. You can break it loose with a screwdriver, hex wrench, etc. without hassle.

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-05-2017 at 04:41 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.