Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions... >

1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...

Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...

Old 12-30-2016, 07:43 PM
Typical Buck

Well I'm sure there's better stuff for degreasing, like a dip tank full of hot perc or MEK but I also know I'd done it a lot of times just using plain old rubbing alcohol and it worked just fine far as I can tell. About every house hold has it. It's easy and safe to use. But hey, use what ya wanna use.

Last edited by Jack Ryan; 12-31-2016 at 08:43 AM.
Old 12-31-2016, 04:04 AM
Fork Horn

Great advice guys thanks! I never considered browning the barrel, I'll have to look into that. Whichever color I choose, I definitely want to try myself instead of bring to a pro and if I mess it up too bad, then I'll pay for my mistake to be fixed.

This will mainly be a late season hunting rifle so it doesn't need to be mint condition as it'll be used for what it was made for and not display. I am in no rush to finish it so plan on taking all the time in the world attempting to do in correctly.

I did have mixed emotions refinishing it as when my dad gave it to me he told me different stories of hunts he was on with it. Each nick holds a story. He encouraged me to redo it though so I will.

I'll make my final plans this weekend and hope to start taking it apart and getting going next week. I'll definitely keep this thread updated as i know more questions are coming. Thanks again all and Happy New Years!
Old 12-31-2016, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GPMD
Great advice guys thanks! I never considered browning the barrel, I'll have to look into that. Whichever color I choose, I definitely want to try myself instead of bring to a pro and if I mess it up too bad, then I'll pay for my mistake to be fixed.

This will mainly be a late season hunting rifle so it doesn't need to be mint condition as it'll be used for what it was made for and not display. I am in no rush to finish it so plan on taking all the time in the world attempting to do in correctly.

I did have mixed emotions refinishing it as when my dad gave it to me he told me different stories of hunts he was on with it. Each nick holds a story. He encouraged me to redo it though so I will.

I'll make my final plans this weekend and hope to start taking it apart and getting going next week. I'll definitely keep this thread updated as i know more questions are coming. Thanks again all and Happy New Years!
Larry Portterfield from Midway usa does some good videos on stock refinishing and barrel refinishing watch and read as much as possible before you start it really helps!
Old 01-01-2017, 11:16 AM
Banned

Use a stripper on that stock to get the factory finish off. It comes off pretty easily as its just a spray on finish that sits on top of the wood VS soaking in and penetrating. You'll just eat up sand paper like crazy if you skip the stripper process.

The barrel is almost browned, I'd put it back in the gun case until that rusting process is evenly coating the barrel, then rub it back! lol.

Laural mountain forge is what I'd recommend. They look a ton better when browned. Very nice warmth to them afterward.

Keep stain OFF of the stock! That's good walnut and good walnut does NOT need any stain, just a good oil finish like truoil that soaks into the wood and brings out the depth.
Old 01-02-2017, 01:55 PM
Fork Horn

Ok, started stripping everything today and already have a question. How do I get the rear sight off? I removed the screw in the center that you'd turn for elevation figuring that was holding it on as well. I cant see any other screws to take out so am thinking its just stuck on. I was going to WD-40 it and let it sit and then try to knock it loose with a rubber mallet or a punch. As of now it doesn't move a millimeter. I was going to remove the front sight with a punch as well and replace both front and rear with fiber sights. Any opinions on removal? Thanks again
Attached Thumbnails 1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...-img_6247.jpg   1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...-img_6246.jpg   1st Time Refinisher, TC Renegade, Questions...-img_6248.jpg  
Old 01-02-2017, 02:30 PM
Fork Horn

This is most likely an obvious answer but I'm also hand sanding that rust off the barrel and was wondering if I could use a little electric sander on low to do the job. I'm thinking no because I might round the octagon barrel but looking for comments.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:38 PM
Banned

you can use the electric sander with 150 grit. Just keep the surfaces FLAT. The rear sight, unscrew that top screw all of the way until it comes out, then knock the roll pin out thats visible from the outside. Its a really screwy design.
Old 01-02-2017, 02:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by GPMD
Ok, started stripping everything today and already have a question. How do I get the rear sight off? I removed the screw in the center that you'd turn for elevation figuring that was holding it on as well. I cant see any other screws to take out so am thinking its just stuck on. I was going to WD-40 it and let it sit and then try to knock it loose with a rubber mallet or a punch. As of now it doesn't move a millimeter. I was going to remove the front sight with a punch as well and replace both front and rear with fiber sights. Any opinions on removal?
Thanks again
GPMD...

The front portion of the sight has a small roll pin that holds the upper and lower halves together. You'll need to tap that pin out so you can lift the top half of the sight off the bottom half. You can use a jeweler's punch if you have access to any but I've used a very small finish nail to do this by first blunting the pointed end with a file so it won't try to enter the roll pin and cause it to spread. Tap the pin out from left to right and tap it back in from right to left...GENTLY!!
After you get the pin out you'll be able to get to the base screws which anchor the bottom half to the barrel. You can use the nail or whatever you used to tap it out with to hold the two halves in position for reassembly and just follow the nail out as you tap the pin back in.
Take your time and don't get heavy handed... it's really not that difficult.

BPS
Old 01-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Awesome guys, thanks for help! Worked perfectly!
Old 01-04-2017, 01:23 PM
Fork Horn

Ridiculous question guys but any suggestions how to remove screws I can't budge? I removed the "pin" on the rear sight to give me access to the two screws that hold the sight on. I can't budge them. It's almost as if the grooves on the screws are too shallow. I soaked in WD-40 for a few hours with no luck. Just added more and letting it sit over night. I wanted to add fiber sights but that might be a fantasy as I can't get this thing off for the life of me. Suggestions?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.