HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Not 100% but very close (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/410919-not-100-but-very-close.html)

MountainDevil54 12-26-2016 05:17 PM

Not 100% but very close

Got all the major stuff done! I browned the wrong hammer screw, so of course, I'll have to do that later once I get some cold bluing for the next step I have in plan.

I still have to neutralize the actual hammer thats in the warm humid bathroom, after that I'll install it on the lock and Maybe, just maybe! Take it shoot tomorrow and try out the new sight/position set up.

Not a bad kit at all! A ton of fun and the browned lock looks so much better than color case.

I took it very dark, but with the right lighting, tehres a lot to see in the wood. Truoil was also applied to a point that it did not completely fill the grain to a plastic look/feel. It actually feels like its hand rubbed with linseed. Very happy with the way she came out.

Enjoy the blurry pic until its 100% complete and picture worthy LOL.

bronko22000 12-27-2016 07:17 AM

Pretty nice. I only wish that the companies would eliminate the patch box. We don't really use it anymore and IMO distracts from the wood.

MountainDevil54 12-27-2016 01:28 PM

Here's a better one for ya. It was just a teaser pic last night. So far the rife shoots amazing! Next time I will sit down and get serious.

First shot out on a brand new rifle.

Oldtimr 12-27-2016 02:11 PM

I think a patch box adds to the beauty of the rifle stock. I actually use mine.

MountainDevil54 12-27-2016 02:21 PM

I use it as well. The great thing, you can engrave the heck out of it and add a little more dress up.

Topgun 3006 12-27-2016 02:22 PM

Same here Oldtimr!

bronko22000 12-27-2016 04:12 PM

Well I'm a lefty so I don't like them. If you ever got one stuck to your cheek on a bitter cold day you'd understand my point of view!!. If you noticed my .54 custom stocked rifle I posted a thread about doesn't have one nor does my Pedersoli Frontier rifle.

Semisane 12-27-2016 04:52 PM

I'm not a fan of patchboxes either. Don't hate them, but would never add one.

MountainDevil54 12-27-2016 05:12 PM

Ahhh them dern lefties!

I'm really happy with how the rifle turned out. I plan on pulling out the elk hide tomorrow and taking some good pictures of it. I also got some cold bluing to try on the barrel one of these days. I tried the lock the hammer but it was a no go, wouldn't darken it any.

Blackpowdersmoke 12-27-2016 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4287218)
I'm not a fan of patchboxes either. Don't hate them, but would never add one.

I'm kinda with you Semi...

When I was a kid I thought they looked "cool" but as I got older I realized I just like the looks of a stock better without one. I used to keep my cleaning jag stored in the patchbox of my first Hawken .50, but that's about all I ever found it usefull for.

BPS

cayugad 12-28-2016 08:01 AM

Lets see .... :s13: shines nice, must be polished and wiped down often, never have opened it, but matches the rest of the hardware ...

shines nice, matches all the rest of the stock, wiped down its beautiful, can't open it, gives the stock a real flow...

I guess I like them both. But I really seldom if ever use a patch box. That is what the possible bag is to me.

ModernPrimitive 01-08-2017 08:33 AM

how 'bout the old grease hole?:

super_hunt54 01-08-2017 08:46 AM

LMAO...I haven't seen one of them in YEARS MP!! My old man called those "a-holes". Always cracked me up whenever I saw one....