Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Balls & Conicals Day

Old 12-23-2016, 12:22 PM
Banned

Default Balls & Conicals Day

Took the percussion MR out today with 70gr & 80gr Jim Shockeys Gold SP, .020" patches lubed with my anti rust lube, .490" round balls.

Shot 50 yards.

7 shots total, no swabbing. The larger hole had 4 shots, 2 of them were the last shots with 80gr. I think I'll just use that 80gr charge after all!

In all, 13 shots total without ever touching the bore or it getting tight. I had one 385gr GP bullet that was pre-engraved by the Strikerfire, so I spun until the grooves lined up and it loaded easily! Plus it was into the same hole LOL. Can't argue with that.

5 shots with the 385gr hornady great plains bullets, 80gr 2fg jim shockeys gold.

Does the traditions mountain rifle shoot conicals? I'd say it does!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:42 PM.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

great shooting
Old 12-23-2016, 08:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice shooting Jon...

I decided to use roundballs in my .50 Renegade flinter for our late ML season and having not shot rb's through that rifle in many years (I've shot Maxi's with it for quite awhile now), I also decided to use your Anti-rust patch lube. I shot a little bit with it awhile back and liked it so I lubed up a bunch of square cut .018 pillow tick patches and did some 50 yard shooting.
I started with 60 grains of FFFg and worked up to 75 with good results. My groups were good and had I had the time, I would have shot more but my last group was just under 2-1/2" and that's good enough considering my tired ol' eyes!
My POI was about 3" higher than what the rifle was sighted for with Maxi's so I adjusted the rear sight a bit.
Our late season can get VERY cold, and not all patch lubes like cold weather. I believe the patches lubed with your Anti-rust will stay supple in the cold, so I'll give you some feedback on this after the season's over.
I'm going to run some groups through my wife's T/C PA Hunter carbine rifle with the same patches and your lube over the weekend.

BPS
Old 12-24-2016, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

What is SP? Is it FFF?

Are you wearing your pajama tops?
Get that beard down to cover your neck. Don't comb it more than once a day - hardly ever wash it and then you'll have the primitive-era look.
Gotta' lose those Foster Grants too.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 12-24-2016 at 06:14 AM.
Old 12-24-2016, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice shooting. I've been using Jon's Anti-rust Patch Lube lately also and I like it best out of all the other lubes I have. It reduces fouling considerably, makes even the tightest patch/ball combo load easily, stays a consistent texture and eliminates the need for swabbing between shots at the range. All my other lubes are going into a drawer to be used only at the range to use them up or thrown into the trash.
Old 12-24-2016, 09:42 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Nice shooting Jon...

I decided to use roundballs in my .50 Renegade flinter for our late ML season and having not shot rb's through that rifle in many years (I've shot Maxi's with it for quite awhile now), I also decided to use your Anti-rust patch lube. I shot a little bit with it awhile back and liked it so I lubed up a bunch of square cut .018 pillow tick patches and did some 50 yard shooting.
I started with 60 grains of FFFg and worked up to 75 with good results. My groups were good and had I had the time, I would have shot more but my last group was just under 2-1/2" and that's good enough considering my tired ol' eyes!
My POI was about 3" higher than what the rifle was sighted for with Maxi's so I adjusted the rear sight a bit.
Our late season can get VERY cold, and not all patch lubes like cold weather. I believe the patches lubed with your Anti-rust will stay supple in the cold, so I'll give you some feedback on this after the season's over.
I'm going to run some groups through my wife's T/C PA Hunter carbine rifle with the same patches and your lube over the weekend.

BPS
Yes, it will stiffen up a tad, but if its applied very thin to the patch like I show in my video, it will be no trouble. Any small amount of rubbing, quickly breaks it back down to its oil state and makes it easy to work with.

I like to say that when I lube my patches with it, after a day of drying, it feels almost like unwashed .020" patch material as far as "stiffness" goes. Light and fluffy and damn hard to tell which side is actually lubed LOL.
Old 12-24-2016, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by MountainDevil54
Yes, it will stiffen up a tad, but if its applied very thin to the patch like I show in my video, it will be no trouble. Any small amount of rubbing, quickly breaks it back down to its oil state and makes it easy to work with.

I like to say that when I lube my patches with it, after a day of drying, it feels almost like unwashed .020" patch material as far as "stiffness" goes. Light and fluffy and damn hard to tell which side is actually lubed LOL.
I put a little in a metal pan and melt it then add patches to it one on top of the other about 4-5 high. I then squeeze them out on a couple paper towels using my weight. (which is getting pretty significant!) I don't mind a bit extra on the patch. Any excess is scraped off during the loading and I feel it seals the bore better in the crappy weather normally associated with PA's late season.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

LMAO@ yer weight getting pretty significant... Yer a tiny tot Bronko!!! My bathroom scales grow legs and run away when they see me coming!!!
Old 12-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
LMAO@ yer weight getting pretty significant... Yer a tiny tot Bronko!!! My bathroom scales grow legs and run away when they see me coming!!!
Yeah, well when I get on the scale it comes back saying "still loading, please wait"!

My wife tells me I'm twice the man she married. I'm not really sure its a compliment though
Old 12-24-2016, 03:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't even use our scale anymore, damn thing lies every time I step on it anyway!!

BPS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.