HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Green Mt Barrel question- (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/410806-green-mt-barrel-question.html)

ModernPrimitive 12-20-2016 01:10 PM

Green Mt Barrel question-

does anyone know how the .45 drop-ins for a T/C hawken were marked?

That is, if it is not stamped "LRH", is it the 1:70 twist rate by default?

Were there other twists beside those two??

Also, some had a very wide dovetail for some sort of primitive/fixed (non-adjustable) rear sight?

idahoron 12-20-2016 05:26 PM

You make an interesting post. I have three fast twist drop in 45 cal barrels. One is a 15/16" 1-30 twist stainless steel barrel. It is marked LRH. I have another one that is the same but it is 1" and it also says LRH.
My last one is a blued barrel 32" long it is a 1-18 twist it only says 45 cal.

I am don't have all the answers for you but it does seem that yes some of the fast twist 45's were not marked LRH.

This one is a LRH.

The Blued gun just says 45 cal.

super_hunt54 12-20-2016 06:19 PM

Ron, when you are ready to part with that .45 speedy twist, gimmi a jingle will ya?!!! I've seen how that bugger shoots!!!

Semisane 12-20-2016 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4286353)
Ron, when you are ready to part with that .45 speedy twist, gimmi a jingle will ya?!!!

:s2: :s2: :s2: Fat Chance! Ron would sooner part with those body parts that are near and dear to us guys.

ModernPrimitive 12-21-2016 02:43 AM

Ron- you make an interesting post in that now I'm more :confused0024: than before!

I thought that the 32" barrels were strictly 1:70.

As an aside, what can you tell my about the triggers in your pics?

idahoron 12-21-2016 05:25 PM

That 1-18 twist barrel was a very limited run and expensive if I remember right. I don't remember the actual count but it was very small. If I remember right the story was a group of long range shooters got GM to put these barrels out. They are actually a 1-18 twist .458 so they are a BPCR barrel that they made to work in a ML. Anyway I got wind of this unicorn and ordered one. I shot it quite a bit but that 1-18 twist wanted a longer heavier bullet. I picked up some 550 gr .442 paper patch bullets when I was at Buffalo arms last month. I think they have a lot of potential. I also have a couple platinum lined nipples to try with them.
I think there could be more unicorns in different flavors but I don't know about them. My stainless 45 is actually a .451 the .458 is a 32" barrel but like I said I would not base length and twist together when one is a unicorn.

idahoron 12-21-2016 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by super_hunt54 (Post 4286353)
Ron, when you are ready to part with that .45 speedy twist, gimmi a jingle will ya?!!! I've seen how that bugger shoots!!!

If I had a dollar for every time that was said.
That barrel was expensive and you might not see it well but the front sight is a Lee Shavers globe with a spirit level. He don't give them away.
That rifle doesn't hold as dear of a spot in my heart as my Hot Rod Hawken but I don't plan to sell it any time soon.

idahoron 12-21-2016 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4286366)
:s2: :s2: :s2: Fat Chance! Ron would sooner part with those body parts that are near and dear to us guys.

:lolabove::lolabove::lolabove:

idahoron 12-21-2016 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by ModernPrimitive (Post 4286383)

As an aside, what can you tell my about the triggers in your pics?

I bet you are asking about the Renegade Hunters with the single triggers.
Those two guns were my first Hot Rods. Later I got a double trigger Renegade and a Hawken. After shooting them with the finger hook I decided that I needed one on the other rifles. So I made them. It made a huge difference how the guns shoot.
I don't have a lot of tools to make stuff with but I do have some things. I don't have a welder so I used brazing rod and then I used a filler to make it smooth. Then I "gasp" painted them.

ModernPrimitive 12-22-2016 04:23 AM

:party0005: