Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Blurry open sights

Old 11-15-2016, 07:30 PM
Banned

Default Blurry open sights

Working on my kit the other day i took it out to 100 yards to get my rear sight figured out. In the factory position, the rear sight was blurry for my eye. I kept moving it up the barrel until the rear and front sight was perfectly clear. Marked it, went home and did the cutting and filing!

Its been moved 3 1/2" forward of the factory rear sight mounting screws.

NOW I can see both front and rear sights beautifully!

Have any of the older fellers tried this to see if it will help your open sight ability?

Shes coming along nice and slow, the way it SHOULD be! All bedding and other serious work is done. Just taking my time and fitting parts where they should use a little improvement and documenting it as I go.

Next job, remove the patch box and remove a little brass thats rubbing and causing the door to stick a little.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2016, 07:41 PM
Dominant Buck

The one rifle I got from a friend, he kind of did that. The peep sight on the rifle was not on the tang, but forward on the barrel. When I asked him why, he said it was a focus thing. I personally never tried what you did. But if it works for you, that's great!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Many old original long rifles have two or more dovetail slots on the barrel with the rear sight mounted it the most forward slot, indicating it has been moved forward over the years as the gun owner aged.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

This very thing was recommended to me by Bob Hoyt when he put together my .54 barrel. The rear sight was put in further than usual. It makes for a shorter sight radius but improves clarity of the rear a bit. But I normally focus only on the front sight once I have it centered in the rear notch and where I want to hit the target. Both the rear sight and target are "fuzzy" but the bead is clear.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Many old original long rifles have two or more dovetail slots on the barrel with the rear sight mounted it the most forward slot, indicating it has been moved forward over the years as the gun owner aged.
Semi,

Yes, I've read that as well. I have considered having several of the rifles I hunt with drilled and tapped so that I can move the rear sight forward after determining the proper placement on the barrel.

BPS
Old 01-28-2017, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default seeing sights clearly

I moved my peep sight back in front of frizzen on barrel .it still is not clear.as you get older your eyes cannot focus 2 sights anymore..

So i took my muzz to eye doctor in thru back door at quiting time ..lol..

he used a .50 reading lense I could see peep sight clear front sight clear and target on screen almost clear .
took it home and shot like i never did in my life touched holes at 50 yards..
so I bought on net a .50 POWER AMBER BIG LENSE reading glasses..

he said he could put a .50 lense in my prescription glasses ABOVE my eye so all you do is tilt your eye a little and you can see both sights and target..

ITS GREAT..You cannot buy .50 reading glaases locally I got mine on net and in AMBER color...They are my shooting glasses now..

OPEN sights you move it forward down barrel.
PEEP sight you move as close to your eye as you can...

Sproul has spoken....

Last edited by sproulman; 01-28-2017 at 02:51 PM.