Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Testing OLD Pyrodex RS VS New day Pyrodex RS >

Testing OLD Pyrodex RS VS New day Pyrodex RS

Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Testing OLD Pyrodex RS VS New day Pyrodex RS

Old 10-12-2016, 10:26 AM
Banned

Default Testing OLD Pyrodex RS VS New day Pyrodex RS

I finally was able to get out and shoot the super old can of Pyrodex RS VS a fresh can of Pyrodex RS. I started with accuracy test first since that's a lot more fun than shooting over the Chrony.

70gr Volume
.020" patches
.490" round balls
Buckskinners patch lube
50 yard distance.

6 O'clock hole is 3 shots with the NEW can of RS and the 12 O'clock group is with the old RS. I used 2 different aiming points to prevent the shots from running together.

The new can shot quite a bit tighter, but I think that's due to be being able to get a precise POI on the bulls eye where as with the 12 o'clock hold, My bulls eye was covered up. Both shot flawless, but I did notice a big difference when seating the ball.

The old RS is super strong and will not compress. The new RS seems crumbly and easily compresses. I will be taking a picture of both pictures side by side. The old stuff seems like it was a coating on it.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-12-2016, 12:49 PM
Dominant Buck

interesting and very informative test. It says to me, take care of your powder and it stays good.
Old 10-13-2016, 02:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

That is pretty interesting. Good shooting too regardless of the distance.
Old 10-14-2016, 08:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man I wonder how old that is? I've been shooting RS since the late 80's, and never saw a can like that.
In my experience, the powder has not changed when kept dry and climate controlled. I shot a can of 10yo RS along with a can of new (probably 5+yrs ago) and couldn't detect a difference.

Good shooting!
Old 10-14-2016, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Comparing very old Pyrodex against new Pyrodex for possible powder degradation is problematic because they are not the same powder. Pyrodex has undergone several modifications since the original patent in the 1970s. New Pyrodex is more powerful that the earlier powder.

This is the patent formulation:

45 parts of potassium nitrate
9 parts of charcoal
6 parts of sulfur
19 parts of potassium perchlorate
11 parts of sodium benzoate
6 parts of dicyanamide
1 to 4 parts of water

The current SDS for Pyrodex lists:

30 parts of potassium nitrate
8 parts of charcoal
8 parts of sulfur
30 parts of potassium perchlorate

http://www.pyrodex.com/msds.html

Last edited by falcon; 10-14-2016 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-18-2016, 04:25 PM
Typical Buck

I too am interested in the older vintage,s year of mfg.I have heard that the pellets degrade but I haven,t noticed it yet on some that are at least6 years old and stored in a good environment.