Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

.54 barrel

Old 09-27-2016, 06:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default .54 barrel

Well I finally got my .54 flintlock barrel back and in the stock. But when I went to put the ramrod thimbles on the underrib I realized I didn't have any screws for them! So I figured I'd take one off one of the other rifles and put it on temporarily.
Well I don't know what Mr. Hoyt did with the predrilled holes. The threaded hole was too big for the screw. I have a call into him to see what tap he used for them.
But I just may head to the local hardware store with the thimbles and ramrod and see if I can find something that will have a flat enough head so the ramrod can pass through. I can redrill and tap new holes in the underrib about 3/8" from the existing ones and the thimbles will cover the old holes.
Once I get that done I'll post some pics.
Old 09-27-2016, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It's always somethin' ain't it Bud!!

BPS
Old 09-28-2016, 02:45 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah but being older and smarter I realized that I can do a lot of stuff I would have normally paid a gunsmith to do. That drill press I bought at Harbor Freight has saved me a goodly amount of money over the past couple years. It paid for itself easily.
Old 09-28-2016, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

probably 8-48 if your originals don't fit but all the ones iv'e seen 6-48 which you won't find at the hardware store. you might have to order a scope mounting kit with misc. size screws and even that could be a problem if head size is of abnormal size ??
Old 09-28-2016, 07:23 PM
Boone & Crockett

As I stated above muzzlestuffer I got them in using 4-40 screws. I drilled and tapped my own holes. Once I get down to my gunsmith I'll ask him for correct replacements and redrill/tap the holes. But for now they are on snug and secure.