Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

3 Powders N Balls Day

Old 07-28-2016, 05:29 PM
Banned

Default 3 Powders N Balls Day

Today I got the Woodsman Hawken all purdy, loaded up my box, including a new package of TC .45-.50cal patches. One thing I do not like about them. That smaller patch diameter sucks for getting the patch nice and center. I'll stick with using .58cal patches in the 50 from now on. Much more forgiving.

I took Pyrodex RS, Pyrodex P and Jim Shockeys Gold Super Powder 2fg.

Charges ranging from 70 to 80 grains volume.

Buckskinners patch lube ( No swabbing done between shots)

Traditions .490" round balls.

Remington #11 percussion caps.

Got a new back board and target which is huge. Its 17.5 inches with the 3" orange bulls eye in the center.

....100 yards.....

I decided to start with 80 grains RS and took my 3 shots.

First shot is on the far left on a squeaky clean barrel. Next 2 shots went down perfectly and grouped excellent.

I did shoot the JSG and Pyrodex P, but due to my nephew and his girl friend coming over, I decided to scrap those pics due to all the pasties on the targets after I shot my final 3 shot group with the Pyrodex P. I like clean targets.

Pyrodex P group was extremely surprising!

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 09-23-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 06:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Those targets look good for shooting at that range with open sights.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:07 AM
Dominant Buck

how big is that red center circle? Those are nice targets. But I bet expensive too.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:30 AM
Banned

orange circle is 3"

They are a little on the expensive side, but when i factor in what the printer costs for the ink, and how i struggle to see black on white, these arent to bad to cough it up.
Old 07-29-2016, 10:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jon you can make your own shoot-n-see targets really easy. Get yourself some bright green poster paper, cover it with strips of 2" wide (or wider) clear packaging tape, spray the tape with black paint. When dry, stick on your orange dot, Or a white one.
When shot, the paint flakes off the edges of the bullet hole and the green shows through.
Old 07-29-2016, 11:37 AM
Banned

I'll give that a try some time Clem!

Editing pictures from todays 100 yard range session. One thing I learned, its to damn hot to shoot!
Old 07-29-2016, 11:54 AM
Banned

Okay! A hell of a day! Super hot though which was a bummer.

I used some new charges and new patch material since the .015" patches loaded so easily.

Today I used .018" pillowtick soaked in buckskinners lube and wrung out between finger and thumb until the material was damp.

I started with 70gr Pyrodex P and checked the target after each shot and had snake eyes on my first 2 shots! My 3rd shot through me off until I shot jim shockeys gold next.

Pyrodex P

70gr Jim Shockeys Gold 2fg. Snake eyes once more! Until the 3rd shot.

80gr Pyrodex RS. First 2 shots are in the middle and low and behold.. That 3rd shot did it again!

With today being as hot as it was. I noticed after 2 shots, that barrel was to the point it was uncomfortable to touch with a bare hand during reloading. I had to use a rag around it. I believe with the sun beating down and reloading as fast as I was, the barrel was just to hot and throwing the 3rd shot consistently to the right or left, depending which powder I was shooting.

All patching was cut a the muzzle

Ended up later with 2 layers of masking tape for a sun shade.

Old 07-29-2016, 05:16 PM
Banned

Okay I went back out about an hour later and took ONE shot with Pyrodex P and it grouped perfectly with the first 2 shots!

Loaded up jim shockeys gold,Let it cool between shots, took my time, first 2 shots on a nice cool barrel did perfect again! Then the third shot on a hot barrel did the usual.

Cooled down once more,

I am a happy camper!!

Shots 6 & 7 were with home cast .490" round balls. They actually felt a little more snug in the bore than the swagged balls I was previously shooting.

Old 07-29-2016, 10:53 PM
Fork Horn

It's been way too hot here in KY to shoot or at least for me. I have plenty of rifles and loads to test but I have actually been shooting my smokeless rifles at long range. I love my BP rifles but I hate trying to shoot'em when it's this hot. It looks like you found the sweet spot. That's some real nice shooting and should do the trick on a bear. I will be bear hunting in WV again this year. Got some good pics of a nice boar.
Old 07-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Spike

Default It's been 40 yrs. since shooting black powder rifles

When I was younger, I bought my first CVA in a kit. It was a 45 cal side lock. Gave $45.00 for it at a Western Auto store. Took me about a week to finish it an it turned out pretty nice.
I kept that rifle for about 6 mo. an my cousin bought it for $175.00. That's been a long time ago, an its probably as rusty as I am now!
Now I have a few questions since they came out with paradox powder. I have a CVA 50 cal. side lock cap an ball. what do I use to start out with? Ball, Powder, How much? Bore is 0.49 an lands 0.44. Can you still get black powder?

Only dumb questions are the ones you don't ask!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.