Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

I have returned....

Old 08-03-2016, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Sproul - it's possible that it may be lead. I was shooting my Marlin Cowboy a couple weeks ago using hard cast lead bullets with a pretty stout load. I used Hoppe's Elite Lead and Copper fouling remover. Scrubbed the bore with a wet patch, let it set a bit then worked a brass brush through the bore. It took quite a while to get all the lead out of the bore. You could see the fine slivers of lead on the patches. And being that Maxis are a lot softer, lead fouling is a good possibility.

Going to look again i ran wire brush down it etc used j b bore paste also...1 inch from outside of muzzle .
Old 08-03-2016, 07:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well 200 times with wire brush and 200 with J.B.BORE paste ..nothing .looks like a knife mark perfect circle with opening and 1 spot about 1/8 long chewed in real bright silver look with light on area.its about 2 inchs in from outside of muzzle...

still am stumped why its 2 inchs in ..what could have made circle like knife with some off it ..only shot maxi-balls and very few roundballs ..only thing down barrel has been short starter/ram rod over 45 years ..What could be so strong to cut into metal is beyond me and 2 inchs from outside?no way the maxi-ball could stop in that area when being pushed in and cause mark ..why would lead only build up in one spot in circle like knife cut ..I am lost on this and wore out pushing a brush in that many times..cut mark goes from lands across into grooves not just on lands...
Old 08-03-2016, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

WOW this is interesting topic...Learning a lot here.One of our members here[semisane] at this time feels I have RINGED BORE .....It is caused by not seating my Maxi-ball down on powder..THAT COULD HAVE HAPPENED...You push it in with short starter and forget to push it down on powder..

So now is barrel ok to use for RB?Can bore paste or another way smooth down ring I can feel it with prob....
Old 08-08-2016, 12:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting rb

Well took the .50 cal hawkins out and this time made up patches with Moosemilk thing cut at muzz..
I saw big difference in seating the roundball to start.These were dry patch material..at 25 yards groups were good at 60/70 grains of 3 f..

only problem was burn holes thru patches at 70 grs of 3 f but not 60 grs..
Put a bore button behind the patch at 70 grs and no burn hole thru patches..

Question why did 70 grs of 3f burn hole thru patches..
Is using bore button ok with 70 grs....

I think the ringed bore spot is not affecting anything so far ..That is good ...

So getting there and very happy with Moosemilk with grinding oil and cut at muzz I can see a difference in groups..

next out too 50 yards..Question how high should the poi be at 50 yards I am up 5 inchs high at 50 and about 2 inchs at 25 yards..
I think thats high for buck hunting only out to around 80 yards max?Should I bring that down after I get my charge way it shoots best..60/70 grs not going to 80 grains cant stand kick/smoke over 70 grains..lol...
Old 08-08-2016, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Sproulman, that 70 grain load should be giving you something like 1450 fps. If you sight it for a 75 yard zero it will be about 1.5" high at 25 yards, 2" high at 50 yards, dead on at 75 yards, and 4.5" low at 100 yards.

Those burn throughs with 70 grains are likely due to either the patch being a little too dry or the weave of the patch being a bit loose. What patch material are you using? You should not need a bore button with a patched ball over 70 grains of 3F GOEX.

How did the accuracy compare using 70 grains with the bore button and without the bore button?
Old 08-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Me thinks your patch is too dry too or too thin. Maybe your moose milk is too watery?
Take some and try thickening it up with bees wax, bore butter or crisco.
Old 08-09-2016, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Semisane
Sproulman, that 70 grain load should be giving you something like 1450 fps. If you sight it for a 75 yard zero it will be about 1.5" high at 25 yards, 2" high at 50 yards, dead on at 75 yards, and 4.5" low at 100 yards.

Those burn throughs with 70 grains are likely due to either the patch being a little too dry or the weave of the patch being a bit loose. What patch material are you using? You should not need a bore button with a patched ball over 70 grains of 3F GOEX.

How did the accuracy compare using 70 grains with the bore button and without the bore button?
The patch pillow tick were just slightly damp I left them in sun..
Ptch material was from Wal-mart .018 pillow tick in blue and I washed them in machine as told before I put Moosemilk Napa grind oil on them.I was happy at how they went in vrs the ox-yoke .018 with preciesion oil ...ox-yoke was terrible had to use a hammer on my starter these I can punch in and nice and tight going in to charge after cutting at muzz...

at 25 yards without bore button the 60 grs touched and 70 grs were a little apart,then i used bore button and 70 grs tighten up ..70 grs had perfect circle with 2 holes in patch near circle put in bore button and the patch looked fine at 70 grs...I punch my own bore buttons with punch...It looked like at 60 grs the balls grouped better than the 70 grs at 25 yards but when I used the bore button at 70 grs groups got tighter....I know RB said never use 90 grs of 3f without a bore button but ok to use 50 grs without button..Too much kick at 90 grs and smoke ......

I am happy so far that it is shooting much better with 2 things moosemilk/cut at muzzle has helped...
Old 08-09-2016, 06:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Me thinks your patch is too dry too or too thin. Maybe your moose milk is too watery?
Take some and try thickening it up with bees wax, bore butter or crisco.
I did not follow Cayugad ingredients like he said ..he said like 4 oz of napa grind oil i used 2 oz because i did not want a lot left over..but I cut the alcohal/murphys soap also in half to make less..Think I need to add few more ounces of oil?like 4 oz instead of 2 oz i did...

his was 4 oz napa ..Added 1 oz more of napa to what i had left and resoaking the pillow tick again then in sun.....
8oz alcohal
1 oz murphys soap
16 oz water

i cut those in half so i did not used as much..2oz oil, 4oz alcohal,1/2 oz soap,8oz of water...now using 3 oz of oil in what was left..Will try this out this week..

Last edited by sproulman; 08-09-2016 at 06:53 AM.