Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Bedding a sidelock

Old 07-19-2016, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Bedding a sidelock

I read on here the a few of you bed your sidelocks. How do you go about this? When you bed the tang do you bed the area that is in the barrel channel only or do you also bed the area that rides the top of the stock? Also, if you bed the barrel channel area of the tang, do you also bed a couple inches of the barrel channel where the barrel and tang meet? Do you place any material up near the wedge pin too?
A step by step video would be a great topic for a sticky!
Old 07-19-2016, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good idea. I'd like to see that also. But not a sticky. Put it in the Reference Forum.
Old 07-19-2016, 05:53 AM
Banned

Clem its pretty simply really. I like to use JB Weld if the inletting on the rifle is tight. If not, use something that can be stained or colored brown to get a closer match to the wood.

Doing that traditions now and I did a little drawing of where I do everything on a rifle like this.

Any material by the wedge key is something that depends on how the barrel fits into the stock without the pin in place. If its moves around a little bit, It gets bedded.

Basically the tang ( screw holes as well If they just go into wood VS through the trigger plate) and something 1 to 2 inches behind the barrel where the tang meets up. But again, it all depends on how that barrel fits in the stock.
Old 07-19-2016, 06:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

MD - what do you use for a release agent? And how do you remove the excess epoxy from the stock.