Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Pedersoli and RMC vent liners

Old 07-07-2016, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pedersoli and RMC vent liners

You may remember in my post earlier about shooting my Pedersoli Frontier rifle up the cabin using my newly installed RMC vent liner. As mush as I like and prefer these liners for my T/Cs I had nothing but trouble using one in the Pedersoli. I had numerous pan flashes with no main charge ignition.
When I came home I checked the RMC against the original liner and saw that the RMC was at least 1/8" shorter. Because of this I had a lot of difficulty reinstalling the original as there was significant fouling in the threads and without the proper tap it was a tedious job getting the original seated. It took a lot of brushing with various size rifle brushes and screwing the liner in and out.
I took the rifle out today just to see if it was the liner and the rifle performed flawlessly. I fired 6 consecutive shots without swabbing and had zero failures and almost instant ignition.
I believe I will give RMC a call tomorrow and let them know about this issue as I'd much prefer using an allen wrench over a screw driver.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:37 PM
Banned

never liked that rmc line, to slow firing and as you said, the flash in the pans got sickening.
Old 07-07-2016, 04:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jon - I did modify the original slightly by drilling a "funnel" in the face of it using a 5/32" bit.
Old 07-07-2016, 05:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

That's weird. I have RMC's in three Great Plains rifles and all work flawlessly - way better than the original Lyman liners. A year or two back I had a .32 Pedersoli Froitier, also with a RMC liner that worked just fine.
Old 07-07-2016, 07:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I agree with Semisane. In my Green Mountain and T/C barrels as well as my Lyman, the RMC are the best vent liners I have. Real fast ignition, easy to get in and out with the Allen head on them.
Old 07-08-2016, 08:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well guys I called RMC and told the gentleman my story and he really appreciated the feedback and was going to look into it. He said his dad had a Pedersoli flinter that he could compare his vent liner to.
I told him that I use his liners in my T/Cs and Lyman with excellent results but had a major ignition problem with the Pedersoli. He is sending me a new T/C liner as a replacement.

On a side note to this topic (and this is my opinion and I am not affiliated with him other than here) I used Jon's Frontier's Anti-rust and Patch Lube during the firing of these 6 shots. With no swabbing between shots the last shot loaded as easy as the first. Seems like a pretty good lube and will have to give it an accuracy test next time out.

Last edited by bronko22000; 07-08-2016 at 08:37 AM.
Old 07-08-2016, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Jon - I did modify the original slightly by drilling a "funnel" in the face of it using a 5/32" bit.

bronko...

That's what I used to do with the original T/C screwdriver slotted vent liners. I would take them in to work, chuck them in a collet and use a 45 degree spot drill to "funnel" the touch hole. Never had a problem after that but I switched to RMC liners after they came on the market and never looked back. T/C finally wised up and began offering their version of the RMC liner which works equally well but costs more.

BPS
Old 07-12-2016, 05:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I'll be darned. Guess what? I received my 3 pack of Pedersoli vent liners in the mail today and low and behold there was a recess in the face of the liners exactly like the one I put in mine! I guess the word went out.
I also just checked the flash hole and I could put an .060" bit into it so I would imagine it is 1/16".