Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

COWS KNEE. Made a few up!

Old 07-05-2016, 03:10 AM
Typical Buck

Default COWS KNEE. Made a few up!

I bought a Lyman Deer Stalker about 10 years ago. The Gun store only sold black powder guns? With each gun he sold he gave a starter pack of items and in it was a cows knee he had made?
I never tried the knee but gave it to my son. The man will hunt in any kind of weather. He loved it! He was out in the rain and wet snow,of which it seems to be our Flintlock season here in Pa.
He said how it had kept his flint, frizen and pan powder dry!
I gave a fellow an old leather sofa and in a few years his little kids had ruined it. He put it into a dumpster at work. I had cut as much leather from it as i could and saved it . Why? I just do dumb stuff like that. You never know when a piece of leather my come in handy !
After the son saying how he liked the cows knee i decided to use the one i gave him for a pattern? Well,i got carried away and must have made a dozen or more of them,from my old couch leather!
I sold one and gave one to my other son. I have a bunch more just laying in my gun room!
It is a very good item for a Pa Hunter to have in their Possibles Bag,i now know!
Old 07-05-2016, 08:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

And I thought I was the only guy who stopped on the side of the road to cut leather from a discarded sofa.

How about some pictures mounting man.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

My wife is small,so when i do something,such as that,she can scoot down under the dash and hide from traffic!
Old 07-06-2016, 09:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey MM what I did was take an old chamois shirt I had (it somehow shrunk in the closet and I couldn't button it anymore) and cut sections about 8"x12" and sprayed them good with a couple coats of camp dry (silicon spray). Once dry its ordorless. When is gets rainy I drape a piece over my hammer/frizzen and hold it in place with a rubber band. The rubber band I put over the hammer and bring it around to the trigger guard. The "hook" on the T/C's are great for holding tension in it. I simple tug on the cloth and it and the rubber band come right off.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:39 AM
Typical Buck

Mine are made from a good grade of leather,it is pretty heavy duty and water proof.The knee is held on by a cord and wrapped around a button. The knees are just soft enough to mold to the shape of the barrel and the tang area. They look like a tent over the hammer and frizen!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:41 AM
Typical Buck

I wish i was more of a computer person so i could post some pictures. I've tried a few time and it just isn't my thing to do.
Old 07-07-2016, 06:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

Is it made of one or two pieces of leather? If two, how do you make the bend and is there an overlap?