Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Shotguns and turkey

Old 03-31-2016, 10:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Shotguns and turkey

Speaking of going the traditional route here with powder, shot, and wads.
I've been looking for a percussion shotgun. I'd like a SxS but would even take a single bbl.
How much powder and shot do they take and what is there effective range?
And how much trouble are they to load?
Old 04-11-2016, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Speaking of going the traditional route here with powder, shot, and wads.
I've been looking for a percussion shotgun. I'd like a SxS but would even take a single bbl.
How much powder and shot do they take and what is there effective range?
And how much trouble are they to load?
Hey I was thinking of you today Bud... there was a flock right here in the back yard less than 40 yds. from the house. Four gobblers fanned out with a dozen or better hens and Jakes standing by...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 04-11-2016 at 07:35 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 04:09 AM
JW
Super Moderator

I have my great grandaddy's 16ga sxs, shot my 3rd turkey on my 4th birthday 2.5 scores ago in MI and have a Pedrosellia sxs 10 ga.
The 10 has chromed barrels.
I shoot steel out of that waterfowl hunting. The load is equal amounts of sht and powder. Using Pyrex it is 80 gr. And 1 1/8 #3 steel.
Upland I will use #4 copper plated lead.
The load is powder/greased fiber wad/shot/half fiber wad to hold shot in.
I do fool with shot cups from BPI. That does tighten my pattern.
My buddies don't let me take the 1st shot waterfowl hunting. Seems they have a hard time picking out the ducks over the decoys because of the smoke.
Currently I am working on a white inline. But I'll need to be on Dat udder forum. lol
The latest issue of Backwoods man has an article on using a flint as a small game/shotgun.
It does have load recipes.
Might need to get a flint now.
I have in the past Xcountry skied for grouse with a BP sxs. Lots of fun.
JW
Old 04-12-2016, 04:55 AM
Dominant Buck

In my 12 gauge T/C New Englander I load 80 grains of Jim Shockey Gold 3f, and then push a shot cup down the barrel. Then I put 80 grain of 5&6 (50/50) mixed shot. Then two thin over the shot cards. I found it makes the tightest pattern for some reason. This is a good 25 pushing 30 yard shotgun.

In my Knight TK2000 I load 80 grains of 777 2f, then a 3 inch wad, and a matching cup of 5&6 shot (3 inches) into the wad. Then two over the shot cards. This is a 40 yard shotgun, but I would prefer much closer. I set decoys at 25 yards and normally shoot them on the back side of the decoys.

I did actually get even a tighter pattern when I used a foam over the shot card. But not enough to justify the cost of them.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:23 AM
Boone & Crockett

Sounds like fun. At my age I'd likely have to have a cheat sheet to show the loading steps: powder, wad, shot, over card, caps. Don't know if I can remember all that.....LOL
JW I was snickering when I read your post about not being allowed to shoot first. I could just see that big cloud of white smoke hovering over the blind in the still air of the morning and the other guys cussing you out as they hear your duck splashing into the water and the whistling wing passing overhead.
Old 04-12-2016, 05:29 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Bronco you got that right!
After the first shot the boys of the blind planned against me.
I was told on a count of 3.
Well the leader starts counting...1....2..BAM...They ALL SHOOT. and then he hollers 3. I got to smoke a cripple.

But loading is easy. Not much different than rifle loading. Bigger posies bag though.
Once I develop a load I cut a brass tube for my powder charge. Pockets in my possible bag for wads and I do pregrease. A pocket for a handful of wads in a plastic capped container . I did use thin file cards for over the shot wad but just use half a fiber wad. Just easier and at times that thin card was not seated correct. Nothing worse than your shot dribbling out.
Half the fiber powder wad works far better.
You can get leather shot bags that have 2 different shot loads. Thumb pressed tube fills to what you select. So my possible is container of wads pregreased, brass powder flask, leather shot bag, plastic shot cups, and some dry fiber wads.
Duck hunting swat shot if needed I would forgo the shot cup. Gave me a bigger pattern.
Worked well. Oh and a brass primer holder.
Literally a blast to shoot.
I also pheasant, grouse, woodcock hunt with it.
For grouse woodcock no shot cup.

Last edited by JW; 04-12-2016 at 05:42 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:02 AM
Dominant Buck

I suppose I could hunt turkey out of my workshop. But that just don't seem like sport to me. I had two nice toms and about five hens in the other day before the last big snow. I have no idea what they were eating out there in that dead grass.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Maybe just picking up grit for their craw?? Or there could have been some juicy little bugs or seeds laying around. What you need is some archery gear to make it a bit more challenging for the back yard. Maybe a long bow, cedar arrows (or willow) and some flint heads?!?!