Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Hawken Woodsman + Precision Packer

Old 03-12-2016, 08:56 AM
Banned

While butchering the hog, I started cutting up the opposite shoulder where I thought the ball might be trapped. I was right!

The .490" 177gr round ball penetrated both front shoulders, completely breaking the actual round bone and I recovered the ball in the meat.

The recovered weight is 169.6 grains.

Last edited by MountainDevil54; 03-12-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 08:58 AM
Banned

By the way, We had breaded pork chops yesterday from one of the hogs and it was amazingly good! Nice and juicy and great flavor.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by quigleysharps4570
Kind of a neat little gadget. Don't figure I'll have a use for one though.
I'm with you quig... can't say as I'd ever want/need one. I like to "feel" that compression when I seat a bullet or ball.

BPS
Old 03-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Banned

The verdict, the MPP is NOT the blame for my low group shots, That's where shes hitting at 100 yards.

I had problems with my chronograph towards the end but here are the numbers when I used the MPP.
1425 ( Clean / oiled bore/wiped dry with single patch)
1462 Blue Swab
1489 Blue Swab

The other readings I got by compressing by hand were all errors. I think I may have had sun rays hitting the readers and throwing it off. Tomorrow evening I'll redo the test.
Old 03-13-2016, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gotta have stable light over the chrony for it to be accurate. Guess you figured that out. Had more than one occasion with clouds moving causing sporadic light and making the chrony go bonkers. I solved that little problem by getting one with the infra red sensors and boxing it. Little more expensive than the outward light source types but with all the load development I was doing at the time it was worth it. They may not be much more nowadays. One of my buddies uses one of those panels from an A-Frame fluorescent light fixture as a diffuser on really sunny days. Works great as well.