HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Moose with a PRB (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/404390-moose-prb.html)

nchawkeye 02-08-2016 04:07 PM

You fellows are wasting your time trying to compare energy of modern projectiles and a round ball, load up and go hunting, either one will do the job with a double lung shot...

bronko22000 02-08-2016 04:15 PM

Hawkeye - that's exactly why I posted that "so much for ballistics - huh?" in an earlier thread.

Semisane 02-08-2016 04:18 PM

But Hawkeye, don't you understand?........We live for the opportunity to waste our time on stuff like that. :D

If this were not a traditional muzzleloading forum I might be asking which bullet should I use in my .22 Hornet reloads for Moose? I usually use 35 grain Hornady V-Max and they are very accurate. Should I give up a little accuracy and move up the the 40 grain V-Max for more energy? :s2:

Blackpowdersmoke 02-08-2016 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by nchawkeye (Post 4244034)
You fellows are wasting your time trying to compare energy of modern projectiles and a round ball, load up and go hunting, either one will do the job with a double lung shot...

I think a lot of bronko's choice of weapon is gonna depend on what his guide has to say about what he can expect for a shot, providing he draws a tag and chooses to hire an outfitter/guide. I know if I was lucky enough to draw a tag and planned on spending a fair bit of $$, I would source out a very reputable guide that could put me within ML range of a Moose if that's what I exclusively chose to use. But if I were to just go up there and "wing it" by checking the counties that have the highest Moose concentrations and relying on "lady luck"... I would bring along a CF rifle.

I would love to take a Moose with a black powder rifle, but we live in a real world where your dreams very seldom come true. It's not like walking out into familiar woods and picking a choice spot you can expect to see deer travel through.

Not to mention that outfitters/guides many times have access to private tracts of land that the average Joe can't hunt. Just my $.02

BPS

bronko22000 02-08-2016 04:34 PM

I am going with an outfitter if I draw. But the guide is the son of one of my friends who has been guiding with this outfitter for several years. He told me if I draw he would just about guarantee me a 50" or better bull. I can always carry my '06 on my shoulder in case I can't get close enough to a once in a lifetime bull.

Blackpowdersmoke 02-08-2016 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4244044)
I am going with an outfitter if I draw. But the guide is the son of one of my friends who has been guiding with this outfitter for several years. He told me if I draw he would just about guarantee me a 50" or better bull. I can always carry my '06 on my shoulder in case I can't get close enough to a once in a lifetime bull.

Bronko...

Sounds like you have a good plan Bud. I would shoulder both rifles and use what you choose when the time comes.

BPS

Semisane 02-08-2016 04:41 PM

Yeah Bronko, that sounds like a plan for sure. I hope you get drawn so we can all wait in anticipation for the hunt.

bronko22000 02-08-2016 04:56 PM

I really want to bust something with that .58. I didn't get a chance at a deer this season and I passed on a smallish bear (earlier post). I bet that big ball smacking the sides of a decent bull moose will make a pretty audible thud! It would be nice to get drawn in the September season. I think they are in rut then and can call one into ML range.

Blackpowdersmoke 02-08-2016 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Semisane (Post 4244048)
Yeah Bronko, that sounds like a plan for sure. I hope you get drawn so we can all wait in anticipation for the hunt.

I hope he gets drawn too Semi...

That way, (if he scores) I can wait in anticipation to share in a Moose steak when he and I get together at his camp to shoot this summer!

Medium rare if you will bronko... :happy0001:

BPS

super_hunt54 02-08-2016 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke (Post 4244031)
sh54...

I can somewhat agree on that. Having been to Maine for a visit while my son lived in the mid-coast region, I saw how dense some of the terrain can be in and around their streams and lakes. It was late May and all we did was trout fish but some of that area was very dense.

That said, A friend and his Dad drew a moose tag some years ago (2 persons on a permit) and their guide had them hunting clear cuts and I believe the one he shot was somewhere in the 150-180 yard range if I remember right. He shot it with a Colt-Sauer chambered for300 Weatherby?

So I would definitely bring along a decent .30 cal rifle in case the guide can't put me on Moose in a comfortable enough range for a .58 ML. I never did like the taste of "tag soup", especially if it costs a pile of $$. But, it's bronko's hunt, not mine.

BPS

100% agreed BPS hence why I said a rare thing to get over a 75 yard shot. I've never been lucky enough to draw a Maine tag for Moose but I have hunted whitetail in several areas of Maine many times and come upon Moose dang near every single time out. Talk about a trigger finger going into epileptic fits!!!!! One part of my brain (you know the devil and angel on each shoulder) saying "well you have "deer" tags and it IS in the deer family" :D Last time I hunted Maine I counted 12 Moose roadside driving in!!! Finding them and getting in range really isn't that hard in most areas, it's getting a dang tag thats hard!