Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Question for you chronograph users... >

Question for you chronograph users...

Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Question for you chronograph users...

Old 02-06-2016, 02:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Question for you chronograph users...

OK fellas, here's something for ya to chew on...

I don't own a chronograph so my question is this.... For those of you who own and use a chronograph when developing a load for your sidelock muzzys... Have any of you ever tested the difference in velocity between a TC Renegade with it's 26" barrel and a TC Hawken with it's 28" barrel, both being the same caliber using the exact same charge of black powder whether it was FFg or FFFg and the exact same projectile albeit bullet or patched round ball with the same lube? Just curious as to how much difference that 2" makes with the Hawken barrel? Is it insignificant?

Further... I am not interested in testing you've done on different make ML's of comparable barrel lengths... just the two I've stated above.

BPS
Old 02-06-2016, 04:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Never did BPS but if you want to get together this summer I can bring my chrono and we can spend a weekend up the camp making white smoke and relaxin!
Old 02-07-2016, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have the Ohler 35. All my barrels are all Green Mountains. I have never compared the factory barrels.
Ohler quit making Chronographs for a while but the last thing I heard was they were back at it. They are expensive but in my opinion worth it.
Old 02-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Never did BPS but if you want to get together this summer I can bring my chrono and we can spend a weekend up the camp making white smoke and relaxin!
Sounds like fun Bud!

Another thing I forgot to mention is I would like to see the results of a comparison between like barrels. Either both being flint, or both percussion. I know there's not a lot of shootin' being done right now, but if any of you remember this and you have the guns to do it with, please post your results at a later time.

Thanks,

BPS
Old 02-07-2016, 10:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Well, here's an example you may find interesting. I extracted the following data from an old DIXIE catalog showing velocity data using a .40 caliber barrel and 75 grains of Dupont FFFg black powder and patched round balls. The velocity shown is the average of five shots.

Barrel Length....Velocity (f.p.s.)
........40".......................2059
........38".......................2099
........36".......................2079
........34".......................2063
........32".......................2017
........30".......................1984
........28".......................1973
........26".......................1902
........24".......................1894
........22".......................1844
........20".......................1818

Of interest is that the 38" barrel yielded a higher velocity than did the 40" barrel, indicating that the charge had fully expended its energy in the first 38" of barrel, and the extra two inches of the 40" barrel had a negative effect on velocity (at least with the 75 grain load).