HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Order on the way (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/404087-order-way.html)

bronko22000 01-23-2016 11:56 AM

Order on the way

Well I sent my order out to Bob Hoyt today. I scrapped the Pedersoli Blue Ridge rifle idea. As much as I like the style and wanted something different from my Hawkens and Renegades it looks like the Pedersoli did not have adjustable rear sights. And the way I change loads I couldn't see myself filing down the front sight and then having to get a new one later on.
I ordered a 15/16" flintlock barrel, 32" length, .54 cal 1:66 twist.
Not sure when it will be done but I won't be home until May so it may be done when I get back.

Muley Hunter 01-23-2016 04:39 PM

Primitive non-adjustable sights work fine for different loads if you don't mind a different sight picture.

Where you put the front sight in/on the rear sight is where the POI will be.

The other option is good old Kentucky Windage. It's my favorite way to shoot. Hold over/under.

bronko22000 01-24-2016 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4241610)
Primitive non-adjustable sights work fine for different loads if you don't mind a different sight picture.

Where you put the front sight in/on the rear sight is where the POI will be.

The other option is good old Kentucky Windage. It's my favorite way to shoot. Hold over/under.

I prefer one sight picture for all my rifles. If I had only one rifle then your method would be a viable option. Not nearly as precise but probably OK for short range shooting.
Using Kentucky windage is nothing more than an educated guess. About the only time I've ever used it was out pronghorn hunting in a strong crosswind with a CF rifle.

Muley Hunter 01-24-2016 05:14 AM

If you do it all the time you get pretty accurate with it. It's not a short range method. You don't need it at short range.

bronko22000 01-24-2016 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4241645)
If you do it all the time you get pretty accurate with it. It's not a short range method. You don't need it at short range.

I guess if you're familiar with your rifle and shoot it enough. I have several rifles so I don't want to be guessing. I'd rather use a more precise method.
I know it can be accurate because as a younger lad I would pick off soda and soup cans at 200 yards with my .22 LR in the stripping pits. It would take me a couple shots but once I got the range and the hold down I could send those cans flying around the pit. Any self respecting animal won't wait around for someone to send a round or two in his direction to get the right range.

Muley Hunter 01-24-2016 10:24 AM

If you think about it. You still do it with adjustable sights. You can only set them for one distance. Unless you have a peep that can be moved easily to set distances.

bronko22000 01-24-2016 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter (Post 4241691)
If you think about it. You still do it with adjustable sights. You can only set them for one distance. Unless you have a peep that can be moved easily to set distances.

No I don't. I normally sight in at 75 yards. I can then aim center of deer and make a good hit out to 100 yards and slightly beyond. I won't shoot any farther with my sidelocks.

GOOD OLE BOY 01-24-2016 11:23 AM

What style rifle did you order?

nchawkeye 01-24-2016 12:07 PM

How deep is the rifling going to be and will it be squared bottom or round???

Muley Hunter 01-24-2016 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4241701)
No I don't. I normally sight in at 75 yards. I can then aim center of deer and make a good hit out to 100 yards and slightly beyond. I won't shoot any farther with my sidelocks.

So, non-adjustable sights work fine for that. Develop a load and stay with it.