Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

PRB over powder wad

Old 01-22-2016, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by zeek99
OK: Thanks for the info. My patches are fine; no holes; shredding and only are slightly blackened. Probably could use them again but I never do. I was just trying to see if I could get a little better accuracy.
zeek...

There's nothing that says you can't try them. You may get better accuracy but if you're getting good looking patches then you've probably got a good bore and proper patching/load combo so I doubt it would be significant. But experimentation can be fun as well!

Do you wipe your bore with a dry patch or very lightly moistened alcohol or spit patch between shots? That can help improve accuracy by reducing fouling buildup shot to shot.

BPS
Old 01-22-2016, 05:40 PM
Spike

My patches are .018 pillow ticking lubed with Ox-Yoke Wonder lube. The ticking is cut in strips and soaked in melted wonder lube and wrung out between 2 dowels about 2-3 times and let dry. It will leave you with a very lightly lubed patch that is almost dry to touch depending on how well you ring them out. I run a moist alcohol patch about every 4-5 shots. Powder is Goex & load is 60grn in 50cal & 54cal. Works good for me; just ask the guys in the club I shoot with.
Old 01-22-2016, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

I was using wonder lube too. but don't laugh cause in a couple of my rifles my groups tightened up considerably when I switched to olive oil as a patch lube. a lot in here scoff at that but I know a couple guys who use it with good results.
I cut strips of ticking and apply the oil, roll it up tight and wring it out as best I can, then cut into squares and store in a plastic ziplock bag. I only make about 100 at a time.
Old 01-23-2016, 11:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zeek99
My patches are .018 pillow ticking lubed with Ox-Yoke Wonder lube. The ticking is cut in strips and soaked in melted wonder lube and wrung out between 2 dowels about 2-3 times and let dry. It will leave you with a very lightly lubed patch that is almost dry to touch depending on how well you ring them out. I run a moist alcohol patch about every 4-5 shots. Powder is Goex & load is 60grn in 50cal & 54cal. Works good for me; just ask the guys in the club I shoot with.
Then why the original question???
Old 01-23-2016, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
Then why the original question???
My guess would be that "works good" and "works GREAT" would be in the mix there hawk. We all look for that little bit of improvement.
Old 01-23-2016, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
My guess would be that "works good" and "works GREAT" would be in the mix there hawk. We all look for that little bit of improvement.
And the only way to know that is to actually try it...
Old 01-28-2016, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have only used wads in my New Englander 12 ga. so I can't say about PRB's. I have used wads/wafers in my BPCR .38-55 and .45-70 and also .45-55 (TD carbine).

The shotgun is understandable on using wads, but not sure why it helps anymore for the BPCR rounds. That was the recipe that I followed. I must admit that the BP cartridges are a hoot to shoot. Playing with the accuracy is interesting. Never did try using rounds with no wads/wafers.