HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Muzzleloading Forum (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum-169/)
-   -   Hawken build started up tonight (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-muzzleloading-forum/404008-hawken-build-started-up-tonight.html)

MountainDevil54 01-20-2016 10:11 PM

Hawken build started up tonight

Finally got to the wood work on my brothers Hawken my dad and I bought him for Christmas.

I always leave the wood just a little proud, enough for a strip/refinish in case of damage at some point.

I knocked out all the hard areas first as they normally break my patience down, so its work a little here, work a lil there.

Not sure if I will do my Hawken thumb hook on the stock. Its a ton of patience and carving with my curved file and one slip or something out of wack and its game over.

We'll see though.

bronko22000 01-21-2016 04:32 AM

The wood on that stock looks like it will take a stain nicely. Is is going to be light or dark?

QuinnTheEskimo 01-21-2016 05:37 AM

That looks great! I think I'd like to try my hand at building one. Was that a kit rifle?

bronko22000 01-21-2016 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by QuinnTheEskimo (Post 4240977)
That looks great! I think I'd like to try my hand at building one. Was that a kit rifle?

Its not hard to do. And all you need are basic tools and patience. And you will likely have to take the barrel to a gunsmith to have it blued for a professional looking job.

MountainDevil54 01-21-2016 09:46 AM

Its was a kit stock that I bought through an old parts dealer. Luckily you can get the cva hawken stock in both kit and factory built form. Unless its 15/16" then you are up the creek until they get more LOL.

MountainDevil54 01-21-2016 12:40 PM

Shes going to be a looker with all that pretty good!

My brother said he'd like the reddish brown antique stain I used on some of my other guns, so I will most likely go that route and hit the last coat or 2 with walnut so its not to red.

bronko22000 01-22-2016 05:14 AM

Ahhhh after our PMs I was hoping to see more pics.

MountainDevil54 01-22-2016 07:07 AM

you will later today.

Shes got 2 heavy coats of dixies antique gun stain and then 2 thin coats of birchwood casey walnut to tame the red down.

Oiled the stock heavily last night with boiled linseed oil and let that soak in over night.

MountainDevil54 01-22-2016 08:17 AM

I can't wait to see the grain once I put tru oil on! I may do a glass finish to show that figure off.

This pic shows the true color of the stock. The light glaring off the deck in the previous pics adds to much of an orange color.

This one as well is pretty darn nice.

Blackpowdersmoke 01-22-2016 11:26 AM

Very nice looking work MD... your Brother will be proud!

BPS