Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Question for you peep sight fellas... >

Question for you peep sight fellas...

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Question for you peep sight fellas...

Old 01-19-2016, 06:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
DO the light turn on and off?
Yes Ron, they can be turned on and off with ease. Used as I use them they last for years.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
bronko...

So then your saying you don't have peeps mounted on any of the flinters you hunt with?

BPS
NO - All my sidelocks have peeps. What I was referring to is the hooded front sights that come with the various apertures. Target sights if you will. I'm pretty sure that is what Ron has on his hot rod Hawken.
Old 01-20-2016, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
Semi,

I can fully understand that. I had PM'd bronko earlier with regard to how each other's late ML season went this month and told him that the only opportunity I had was the day after New Year and I had a deer come in within the last ten minutes of legal shooting time. I could see the deer where it was standing, it was less than 40 yards from me, but I just couldn't see my sights well enough to make a shot. Not to mention that I couldn't positively identify if it was a doe or a young buck (I only had a doe tag left) so I would not have shot either way...

I was in the woods, maybe if I was sitting in the open on a field edge or similar it would have been OK... I'd rather not take chances.

BPS
With most peeps you can unscrew the aperture and have somewhat of a ghost ring in low light conditions. But like Ron said, your eye automatically centers in the peep so shooting with both eyes open makes it easy to see what you're shooting at.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:43 PM
Spike

Idahoron; What size drill and tap is that?
Old 01-22-2016, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

It was a #29 drill bit and a 8-32 tap.