Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Question for you peep sight fellas... >

Question for you peep sight fellas...

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Question for you peep sight fellas...

Old 01-17-2016, 03:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
It makes the front sight clear and takes the place of the rear sight although you can still look through the rear sight. Since the front sight being in focus is what is important it makes a huge difference in being able to shoot with confidence. It does the same thing as an installed peep sight and that is making your focus clear when looking through a small hole, you really should not be focusing on your rear sight anyway, it is just to line you up with your front sight. Rear sight blurry, front sight clear. Just a suggestion to save you money and keep your flintlock traditional.
If that's the case I should be able to shoot like a Marine Sniper! LOL! At my age my rear sights are getting fuzzier each year but the front sight is still clear. I seemed to remember that there was evidence of some our ancestors having to have the rear sight moved forward toward the muzzle on their barrels for this reason in order to maintain a sharp sight picture. Anyone else ever heard/read that?

BPS
Old 01-17-2016, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

For me I started out using a peep on a Bow. Back then as an instructor I told guys to focus on where you wanted to hit and let the pin be slightly blury on the sight. I now do the same thing with my ML. I have a tiny lee shavers pin in there. So I can focus HARD on the spot I want to hit. Most gun instructors want the shooter to focus on the front sight. I can't . I have to focus on the animal and where I want that bullet to hit.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by idahoron
For me I started out using a peep on a Bow. Back then as an instructor I told guys to focus on where you wanted to hit and let the pin be slightly blury on the sight. I now do the same thing with my ML. I have a tiny lee shavers pin in there. So I can focus HARD on the spot I want to hit. Most gun instructors want the shooter to focus on the front sight. I can't . I have to focus on the animal and where I want that bullet to hit.
Ron I'm with you on that. Now my cousin was a NRA instructor and an expert handgun shot and he taught his 'students' to focus on the front sight leaving the target fuzzy. His reasoning was logical because they were shooting at a fixed target (wasn't moving).
As hunters we have to focus on our target and leave the front sight a bit fuzzy because our 'target' may move. I tend to switch back and forth when shooting at an animal right until the last second when I focus on the spot on the animal.
The set up on your Hawken makes for accurate shooting under your hunting conditions in the open country but I don't think it would benefit me here in the east's heavy cover. I'm not sure it would allow for quick target acquisition so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ron...
The set up on your Hawken makes for accurate shooting under your hunting conditions in the open country but I don't think it would benefit me here in the east's heavy cover. I'm not sure it would allow for quick target acquisition so I'm a bit hesitant to try it.
bronko...

So then your saying you don't have peeps mounted on any of the flinters you hunt with?

BPS
Old 01-18-2016, 11:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I have peeps on most of my sidelocks also, including two Great Plains flintlocks. They work so much better with my eyes that regular open sights would be a distant second choice.
Semi,

Do you hunt with either of the flinters you have peeps on? I know your Louisiana woodlands don't look like our Eastern Hardwood forests but they both have varying degrees of dense cover. Have you found any difficulty using a peep for your hunting situations?

I only have one Renegade flinter that has a 3-screw tang. I actually have two flinters that have a 3-screw tang but I have no intention of drilling and tapping my .45 Hawken. The Renegade's the one I was toying with mounting a peep on. I'd rather not drill and tap the Hawken... it was my first flintlock purchased new in '76.

BPS
Old 01-18-2016, 04:27 PM
Boone & Crockett

I do hunt with my peep sighted flinters BPS, and with two peep sighted caplocks (GM barreled TC Hawkens in .50 and .58). I don't have any difficulty with them in even thick pine woods with any reasonable light. Peeps do suffer during that golden time just after first light in the morning and right at dusk. Though it may still be legal shooting hours and you can see the game well enough to identify it, you can't see the front sight well through the peep to place the shot. I fix that little difficulty with my sight light, which goes on the barrel during those brief periods. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ight-dusk.html
Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I do hunt with my peep sighted flinters BPS, and with two peep sighted caplocks (GM barreled TC Hawkens in .50 and .58). I don't have any difficulty with them in even thick pine woods with any reasonable light. Peeps do suffer during that golden time just after first light in the morning and right at dusk. Though it may still be legal shooting hours and you can see the game well enough to identify it, you can't see the front sight well through the peep to place the shot. I fix that little difficulty with my sight light, which goes on the barrel during those brief periods. http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ight-dusk.html
Semi,

I can fully understand that. I had PM'd bronko earlier with regard to how each other's late ML season went this month and told him that the only opportunity I had was the day after New Year and I had a deer come in within the last ten minutes of legal shooting time. I could see the deer where it was standing, it was less than 40 yards from me, but I just couldn't see my sights well enough to make a shot. Not to mention that I couldn't positively identify if it was a doe or a young buck (I only had a doe tag left) so I would not have shot either way...

I was in the woods, maybe if I was sitting in the open on a field edge or similar it would have been OK... I'd rather not take chances.

BPS
Old 01-19-2016, 05:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

DO the light turn on and off?
Old 01-19-2016, 05:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Ron I'm with you on that. Now my cousin was a NRA instructor and an expert handgun shot and he taught his 'students' to focus on the front sight leaving the target fuzzy. His reasoning was logical because they were shooting at a fixed target (wasn't moving).
As hunters we have to focus on our target and leave the front sight a bit fuzzy because our 'target' may move. I tend to switch back and forth when shooting at an animal right until the last second when I focus on the spot on the animal.
The way peep work is your eye centers on it's own. When you use the globe in the front your eye centers the peep and the globe. I shot this deer with almost no light.

He was hit and broke out on the run through the bottom of a canyon in heavy cover. The range was under 50 yards. My load is about the same speed as my shotgun load. I just went into "auto pilot" my eye centered both the peep and the globe I never saw the globe insert. I swung on it like a chukar and touched it off. I have found that the only time I have had trouble with these sites was over 50 yards and right at the last seconds of light.

This year I was trying to shoot a burnt stump at 200 yards in the last moments of light. If that would have been a animal I would have been out of luck. I have started to hunt more heavy cover and so far it has worked.

Last edited by idahoron; 01-19-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

I just use crummy old browned primitive buckhorn and front blade sights.

Can't see a thing, but I use them anyway.

Nobody said mountain men were that bright. I don't need precise sights anyway. The gun is so heavy I can't keep it shouldered for more than 2-3 seconds.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.