Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here? >

Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

Old 01-15-2016, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with you MD... no need to be "purists"!!

With regard to the Firestorm, it's definitely not my "go to" flintlock. The synthetic stock and removable breech plug are an asset if the weather's downright sloppy, but it's still flint ignition and susceptible to any issue one might encounter with any other flinter.

BPS
Old 01-15-2016, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flounder33
I shoot handcast lead conicals in a plunger style inline so there is no place for me...
I get hammered every time I talk about it on the "modern" forum
flounder...

That doesn't make any sense... why would they hammer on you for that? My suggestion is that you pick up a sidelock and we'll gladly welcome you aboard!

BPS
Old 01-15-2016, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by flounder33
I shoot handcast lead conicals in a plunger style inline so there is no place for me...
I get hammered every time I talk about it on the "modern" forum

I don't know why. You're using the original inline gun and bullet.
Old 01-15-2016, 11:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Blackpowdersmoke
flounder...

That doesn't make any sense... why would they hammer on you for that? My suggestion is that you pick up a sidelock and we'll gladly welcome you aboard!

BPS
I don't know why, I guess because it isn't the latest and greatest or so I am told. I am told it's the worst possible action and the worst choice of projectile. I will not mention by whom.

I would like to pick up a nice sidelock when finances permit.
Art
Old 01-15-2016, 07:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I first decided to build a far speaker I wanted it to be able to compete with any muzzleloader on the market. I modeled my gun after the Whitworth. I wanted a fast twist rifle. I wanted adjustable sights that I could adjust for the shot at hand. And I wanted a bullet that topped it all off. I got side tracked with the Hornady Great Plains 410 gr 50 cal. It shot great but it was a dinosaur that was on its way out. It didn't have a hollow point or feather light weight. After the 410 was discontinued I stored 30 boxes and figured I would use them and worry about it then. Well I didn't leave well enough alone. I started to find a replacement then. Again I went back to the whitworth for the answer. Paper patched bullets. The first bullet I thought of was the end of the search for me. It was the Lee C501-440-RF. After a lot of testing and eventually getting a lead hardness tester I perfected the bullet and the hardness. I tested them on game and it was a SMASHING (pun intended) success. Testing on the 45's was next. and now I am just sitting back shooting the guns and not really testing much at all.

Some Boards I am Daniel Boon. Others I am on of the members of star trek with my modern weapon. I had to ask so I knew if I was allowed to stay.
Old 01-16-2016, 06:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

It seems this isn't a real traditional forum Ron. So, you're ok.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Ron I would say it would be OK for you to post threads about your Hot Rod Hawken. But if you feel guilty about it, you can just send that beast to me to keep you from being tempted. (just be sure to send a large quantity of those new fangeled paper patched bullet along with it. A couple hundred would do for a start)
Old 01-16-2016, 08:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think guns and loads would be fine as long as the guns are sidelock. I don't believe it should be limited to PRBs. If that were the case I would not be able to relate my loads for my .50 cal Hawken with saboted 300 grain .429" XTPs that shoot cloverleafs at 50 yards.
I would say that the only limitations is that the weapon be a "traditional" style which would include anything other than an inline style rifle. I say this because some inlines do used percussion caps. But on the other end of the spectrum we may actually find someone shooting a matchlock rifle. Boy I would really like to see posts on one of those.
I don't believe there should be any limits on projectiles. A PRB would shoot horribly out of my 1:28 Green Mtn barrel.

Last edited by bronko22000; 01-16-2016 at 08:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

You don't really understand traditional bronko. It's more than a PRB.

Better to call this a sidelock forum, and anything else is good.
Old 01-16-2016, 09:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
You don't really understand traditional bronko. It's more than a PRB.

Better to call this a sidelock forum, and anything else is good.
Yeah I do. I know paper patched have been around for a long time. And so have peeps. I'm not going to butt heads with anyone. I know it's more than PRB.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.