Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder > Traditional Muzzleloading Forum
Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here? >

Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

Community
Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

Old 01-14-2016, 05:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Is my guns and loads acceptable topics here?

I am not sure if my Hot Rods are welcome here or not. Also are the paper patched bullets allowed?
Old 01-14-2016, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by idahoron
I am not sure if my Hot Rods are welcome here or not. Also are the paper patched bullets allowed?
Ron...

I see no reason why you shouldn't be allowed to discuss your style of shooting and choice of cast bullet, powder, etc. You shoot a traditional style sidelock percussion rifle with a peep sight and Pyrodex (or Goex) powder and a paper wrapped, hand cast bullet. You're not shooting a modern style scoped or iron sighted (for that matter) inline rifle so WELCOME ABOARD!

Besides, what's the difference (as far as this forum is concerned) if a bullet is wrapped in paper or cloth (as a patched ball). Paper patched bullets were used prior to and throughout the American Civil War and beyond.

I don't believe the MODS or others will disagree with me...

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-15-2016 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-14-2016, 06:51 PM
Banned

I dont see why not. Paper patched bullets were around in the sidelock days along with conicals in general.

Sabots.. Now that is the real question.
Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 PM
JW
Super Moderator

We where asked to set guidelines and we did.
You the users will tell us if the topic belongs or not.

DAVE....JW
Old 01-15-2016, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

It depends on what era you think is traditional. I feel traditional is more than just being a sidelock.

Traditions makes a sidelock that shoots pellets. Take that gun, and shoot Powerbelts, pellets, and put a scope on it. Is that traditional?
Old 01-15-2016, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
It depends on what era you think is traditional. I feel traditional is more than just being a sidelock.

Traditions makes a sidelock that shoots pellets. Take that gun, and shoot Powerbelts, pellets, and put a scope on it. Is that traditional?
Muley...

T/C made the "firestorm" flintlock which was designed to use pellets but it's still a flintlock and still open for discussion on this forum.

That said... if it's a question of using modern style (saboted) projectiles, then I believe it's supposed to be discussed in the regular BP forum.

BPS
Old 01-15-2016, 08:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well, go to a traditional forum, and the flintlock sub forum. Ask them what pellets you should use in a Firestorm, and see what they say.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
Well, go to a traditional forum, and the flintlock sub forum. Ask them what pellets you should use in a Firestorm, and see what they say.
C'mon Muley...

I said they were designed to use pellets, I didn't suggest using them. I have a firestorm and I've never used pellets in it, only black powder. I've never purchased or used pelletized powder in any way, shape, or manner, ever. I have shot both round balls and solid conicals through it and I believe it has a 1:38 twist. But at the end of the day, it's still a flintlock.

BPS
Old 01-15-2016, 08:52 AM
Banned

Pete, I say we do it like on my place but we allow round balls and lead conicals.

Mine is set for STRICTLY round balls, but lets be more forgiving on here.

Part of my rules on my forum for traditional muzzleloading section

"The rules are simple, please keep the modern stuff out!

We understand that your "traditional" rifle may have come with a plastic stock, Fiber Optic Sights, Plastic ramrods, and that is fine. We are not that snobby!"

I think on here, if its pellets in a flintlock and lead conical or ball, thats ok. Just keep the sabot stuff out and we should get along fine.

Pellet shooters in flintlocks dont pop up very much anyway so its not really worth discussing lol.
Old 01-15-2016, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The Island of misfit muzzleloader shooters

I shoot handcast lead conicals in a plunger style inline so there is no place for me...
I get hammered every time I talk about it on the "modern" forum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.