Traditional Muzzleloading Forum Firearm Types open for discussion: Pre-Flintlock, Flintlock, & Side-lock Percussion. Smoothbores, Muskets, Rifles, Shotguns, Pistols & BP Revolvers, only

I'm ordering this

Old 01-19-2016, 05:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Son of a gun! There was a communication problem with my order. Cabelas shipped a percussion rifle and not a flintlock. Flinters are out of stock and won't be due in until late February!!! grrrrrr.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Slowburn
I have a pedersoli Rock lock but in .36 and I absolutely love it. I have contemplating whether I should purchase a .54; however, due to the lack of space in my gun safe I believe I will need to wait for another safe first.
I have that safe problem as well no room left. do you find your self asking if the house gets broken into which ones stay in the safe and which ones are,left out in the cold so to speak ? Lol
Old 01-19-2016, 06:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Son of a gun! There was a communication problem with my order. Cabelas shipped a percussion rifle and not a flintlock. Flinters are out of stock and won't be due in until late February!!! grrrrrr.
They have a .50 flintlock.

You're not going to like the recoil in the .54.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Man, that stinks Bronko. On the bright side, look at how long you get to enjoy the thrill of anticipation.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
Man, that stinks Bronko. On the bright side, look at how long you get to enjoy the thrill of anticipation.
You're right Semi... like a kid waiting on Christmas!

It's just as well bronko, that's another month that nice new rifle won't be subject to that nasty ol' humid, salty Fla. air! Hurry and bring it back home to PA where it belongs! LOL!

BPS
Old 01-19-2016, 03:01 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
They have a .50 flintlock.

You're not going to like the recoil in the .54.
Fiddlesticks Muley. Recoil never did bother me. I was shooting my uncles' 30-06 and 7mm RMs since I was about 7 or 8 years old. And if I can handle full house .45-70 loads out of my little Marlin Guide gun and my .325 WSM that .54 ain't gonna bother me none.
You must be getting a bit frail in your old age. But I guess I'll be like that soon cause I'm not too far behind you.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Don't know about you bronko...

But of all my guns and of all I've shot over the years, my 12 gauge slug guns are some of the hardest kickers. And some of my ML's, (especially the Hawken rifles) tend to bite my cheek with heavier loads. I had a .444 Marlin (full length) rifle that would get your attention but was not punishing by any means... it kinda pushed ya straight back at the shoulder as if to say..."You want summa dis?" My buddy has a .338 Lapua that kicks less than my 270 Remington 760 (but that because it's ported)...LOL!

BPS

Last edited by Blackpowdersmoke; 01-19-2016 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

I never thought of what happens when shooting a .535 round ball over my standard 85 grains GOEX FFFg as "recoil". It's more like a friend's gentle push.

I know recoil tolerance varies among shooters. I guess I'm lucky in that department. I've never shot a round ball load that I would classify as having heavy recoil, although 120 grains under a .575 ball is right at the top end of what I'd consider moderate recoil. I do shoot some loads that get my attention and which I consider having heavy recoil. But none of them involve round balls.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Semisane
I never thought of what happens when shooting a .535 round ball over my standard 85 grains GOEX FFFg as "recoil". It's more like a friend's gentle push.

I know recoil tolerance varies among shooters. I guess I'm lucky in that department. I've never shot a round ball load that I would classify as having heavy recoil, although 120 grains under a .575 ball is right at the top end of what I'd consider moderate recoil. I do shoot some loads that get my attention and which I consider having heavy recoil. But none of them involve round balls.
I know what you mean Semi,

MY .58 T/C Firehawk is very user friendly to shoot with patched round balls and 90 -100 grs. of FFg, but stuff one of those heavy .58 Maxiball bullets in it and it's uncomfortable to say the least.

BPS
Old 01-19-2016, 05:15 PM
Giant Nontypical

Fiddlesticks Muley. Recoil never did bother me. I was shooting my uncles' 30-06 and 7mm RMs since I was about 7 or 8 years old. And if I can handle full house .45-70 loads out of my little Marlin Guide gun and my .325 WSM that .54 ain't gonna bother me none.
You must be getting a bit frail in your old age. But I guess I'll be like that soon cause I'm not too far behind you.
Yes, and I used to think shooting a .458 mag was fun. Not anymore.

It's not so much the recoil of this gun. It's the skinny butt plate that digs in. The stock it tiny, and has poor balance. Very barrel heavy, but mine was a .45, the .54 will be better unless they use a thicker barrel.

Before you say I was bothered by the recoil from a .45? No, not with a PRB, but because of stupid Colorado laws I was forced to shoot conicals. Those hurt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.