HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/99718-bear-kodiak-magnum-recurve.html)

Tribal 05-07-2005 08:29 PM

Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve

Hi all,

I purchased a Bear kodiak magnum recurve today at a yardsale. Can anyone give me a history on this bow? Such as value, and what decade Bear made these? I know very little about recurves and would appreciate any info.
Also I would like to polish up the limbs and shine her up like new again. What is the best thing to use to do that? It really is in pretty nice shape. No scratches really and is a beautiful looking bow. It is a RH 45# AMO-52"
Thanks.

Guss 05-08-2005 01:19 PM

RE: Bear Kodiak Magnum Recurve

Nice buy, are ya going to put that combine bow away for good. The magnum is a short bow and alot of guys say they are to short, but I have no idea, never shoot one. I have herd they are good in thick cuver. I have a 58in griz that my dad paied about $30 in the 70s. I realy like that bow it to is a 45 at 28. Someone else will have to help ya with the tech stuf.

LBR 05-08-2005 09:35 PM

I think you can find most of what you are looking for on archeryhistory.com . In good shape, and depending on when it was made, my guess it is could bring anywhere from $100-$200.

To clean it up, I'd use Murphy's Oil Soap, or any good non-abrasive cleaner.

They are too short for most folks, but popular nontheless. Nice find.

Chad

Arthur P 05-09-2005 05:46 AM

I had a Kodiak Mag some years back and it definitely was way too short for me to shoot much. I shot it well, but finger pinch really limited the number of arrows I could shoot in a session. I absolutely love the look of those little bows but they don't go well with a 32" draw length.;) They started making them in the early 60's and they're still making them today.

Be sure to use a bow stringer when you string it. Those short bows are the worst about twisted limbs if they're not strung up correctly.

121553 05-20-2005 10:21 PM

Tribe, I got one off e-bay last month for $130.00. Lh-60" - 50lbs@28". It has the green laminated limbs and matches the one I use too have. It was in very good condition just to give you an ideal. Bobby

***********HOW ABOUT THAT ELITE 8***************************

Tribal 05-21-2005 07:24 AM

Thanks alot for the replies, I would say I got a great deal then. It was one of those inherited deals and the guy knew nothing. This bow appears to be in excellent shape that I can see. So I guess it's fair to say I did not waste my dollars.

Floxter 05-21-2005 08:19 AM

I've cleaned up several old bows using "Scratch Out". It's recommended for auto finishes, plexiglass and plastic. Available in most hardware stores in the automotive section for about $4.