HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Professional Bowhunters Society (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/948-professional-bowhunters-society.html)

Cliff_N_Di 01-08-2002 11:33 AM

Professional Bowhunters Society

We were talking about this society last night and possibly joining. Im curious as to how many of you are members?
I know some people really dislike the PBS, so whats everybody opinoins of them. I honestly dont know much about them expect for what I have read on another website.

Dianna

Wahya 01-08-2002 11:59 AM

RE: Professional Bowhunters Society

I don't know much about them either, other than what they appear to be. That being a "good ol boys" club, as my dad would have said it. Like my dad, I won't join a club or organization unless they stand for certain things and have the ability to use their clout to fight for them. Things are really heating up in our fight against the anti's, what with NBC and German owned Jeep joining in with PETA and other animal rights orgs. and I don't know if the PBS can become involved in that fight. If they can't, it's a waste of resources to hand them my money. However, in all fairness to them, I've never looked into it. I do belong to my states bowhunting organization and the NRA. I was thinking about joining ATHA, but havn't seen them get involved with anything except adding some input into Idaho's trad only season. I'll have to see them get involved a little better than that before I decide to join them. LOL, not to say that I'd be adding much to the fight, just it's going to get bad for us unless we put our resources into orgs that can use them to fight for our hunting rights.

Lilhunter 01-08-2002 02:28 PM

I agree at what the PBS appears to be....but thats just it. I dont like the idea of the 2 member groups within the club. Kind of foolish to even bother in a club when there is sort of a 'elitist' group. I havent done much digging after I have heard that and very few if any had anything to say on the other site after I posted that! Kinda makes me wonder.

ALso dropped my memberships to a couple of Orgs, (3 total), I was paying and hearing nothing, not even newsletters on a regular basis. Groups are starting to look like "its not my cup of tea" thing.

Groups like this are fun however as we are all learing from others experiences and sharing a 'campfire' in our own new found ways......but I think thats were my involvement in a group is going to end! just my .02

Floxter 01-08-2002 02:56 PM

I belong to PBS, Comptons, Michigan Bowhunters, Michigan Traditional Bowhunters, and Michigan Longbow Assoc. I figure my dues are small insurance policy in the future of bowhunting and serve as a means to spread the ethics of bowhunting. Moreover, I enjoy reading their publications. I figure membership is one positive step I can take to preserve the past-time we all so love. Moreover, here in Michigan we are involved in resisting the crossbow manufacturers' attempt to make incursions into our bowhunting seasons, and a couple of the above groups are lobbying on behalf of the bowhunters.

Jack

Toxophiliac 01-08-2002 03:17 PM

Jack,
Can you send me some info on the Michigan Traditional Bowhunters? Might be interested in joining.

Edited by - Toxophiliac on 01/08/2002 16:18:43

Gar-Shooter 01-08-2002 03:18 PM

Any organization that asks for bow weight in their application seems a little suspect to me. Macho-Man Club? I pulled 65lb in a recurve for over ten years. All it did was give me target panic. I would have been better off with a 45lb bow. The PBS would not have liked that!

Gar

arrowsmit 01-08-2002 06:15 PM

IMO the minimum bow weight isn't unreasonable (50#) & the "two tiered membership" (Associate & Qualified Regular) is actually a good thing. This framework gives aspiring Associate members a tremendous goal & most are justifiably proud & honored to become a PBS Regular Member. Amazingly there is no pressure to seek qualified status & lots opt to remain an Associate member their whole stay. There are some REALLY great ppl (all bowhunting fanatics) in PBS, but sadly some of the policies leave much to be desired. One in particular (ATV use on private land) I could never agree with, & PBS council isn't about to budge. I reluctantly discontinued my membership a couple years ago. I still miss being a member.

BTW for what it's worth, I have never owned an ATV...

Edited by - Arrowsmit on 01/08/2002 19:19:14

Floxter 01-08-2002 06:20 PM

Tox, e-mail me your mailing address and I'll send you a couple back issues of their publication.

Jack

pat daily 01-09-2002 09:20 AM

Anyone interested in back issues I would be more than happy to lend them to you, I would like them back though. I am an associate member and have been for a couple of years. On the forefront I believe that PBS is doing it's part to fight anti-hunting legislation, anti-crossbow and helping states deal with equipment regulations. One of the best programs is the PBS youth hunt where youths from diff parts of the US are sponsored by local clubs and a mentor and they apply for a week long hunt with the executive council of PBS and there mentors, this is paid for by PBS all except travel expenses which are handled by the sponsoring club. The children learn so much more than just hunting at these events. I am sure that if you contacted via email many more questions could be answered. The only thing that I do not like about being a PBS member is that I currently do not have the time to do more for the organization and help promote archery. I am also a member of NRA and Mississippi Bowhunters Assoc. Get some back issues and see for yourself what PBS is about.

Cliff_N_Di 01-09-2002 09:42 AM

It looks like we have decided to join, I guess I wont always agree with some of the Bylaws, and probably wont be able to attend the banquets(to many kids at home right now)but I figure its 35.00 that's going to a good cause to help fight to preserve bowhunting.

Dianna