Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

longbows

Old 03-18-2005, 10:30 AM

Default longbows

I thought I knew exactly what I wanted until I started looking around more. Here are the four I came up with. Let me know what you guys think, especially those who have shot one or all of these bows. Checkmate Crusader, Thunderstick Mag, Thunderhorn Coupstick, or Northern Mist (not sure of the model name).
Old 03-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: longbows

Isn't it the pits to have such a wide selection to choose from? [8D]

Of your list, I've only shot the Crusader and only a couple of arrows from it. Not really enough to give an honest evaluation of the bow. I know that's LBR's bow of choice though.

Only longbows I've shot for any length of time have been Howard Hill, Jerry Hill ([:'(]), Bighorn, Saxon, Robertson, Bill Stewart, Martin and a couple of homegrowns. My current longbow is the garage bow I made. I like my bow as well as any I've bought, even though it's not as nice and well done as those turned out by the pros. I want to make myself a straight limbed Howard Hill knockoff this summer.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:36 AM

I like Ron LaClair's Shrew line. I have a old Shrew 54" and pulling 52-53#'s @ my draw length 26.5" now..wow my length is getting long...way kool... try and go to a archery club and see if there is anyone that has traditional gear and ask if you can try His/Her bow. You can also go to archery shops and see if they have any old Bows you could try out. Goood luck
Old 03-19-2005, 01:54 PM

I've shot the two bows from Michigan: Jim Reynolds Thunderstick and Steve Turay's Northern Mist. The Thunderstick was excellent and Jim Reynolds is a fine guy to work with. Steve's Northern Mist had just a litle too much handshock for me, but the fit and finish was excellent.
Old 03-19-2005, 07:59 PM

Theres a 3 piece TD Adcock old style (non ACS) on www.tradgang.com that is THE best TD longbows made IMO

And I've shot a few bows
Old 03-20-2005, 08:09 AM

The Crusader is a very nice shooting bow, Chad can get you all set up with one.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:08 AM

I ordered a Northern Mist and it will be ready on monday. It is the Baraga, his top of the line ( Lots of reflex deflex). His shop is about 10 minuts from my house and he is a realy cool guy and knows his stuf. I test shot a few of his bows and they are sweet. Alot of the big shooters in the area who have shot every thing from blackwidows to bears have all said his our equal if not alot better. One guy who once had like 30 bows now only has steve's bow and he swears by them. I am curious how you herd about his bows, he is always busy so alot of people must know about him. His shop is in a small town Called Ishpeming, MI. It is in the UP.
Old 03-21-2005, 06:08 PM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

It depends on what you are looking for in a bow. If you prefer the feel of a recurve, most 3-piece take-downs will cover that. If you like a lighter mass weight, more traditional feel/look, you probably won't care for a 3-piece. Shoot as many as you can and go from there. You can't really tell whether a bow is "the" bow for you with only a couple hundred arrows, but sometimes you can tell if one is definately not for you with just a few shots. Do a little research on the bows you try out--a bow that is built for a 30" draw isn't going to give you a fair indication if you draw 26", and vice-versa.

After a dozen or more years shooting longbows almost exclusively (except bowfishing), I do prefer the Crusader. It's not the absolute fastest, but it is fast, smooth, forgiving, very low handshock, with an excellent grip. I haven't shot one I like better, and only a very few that came close.

Chad
Old 03-31-2005, 05:13 PM

LBR- you gotta nice site
im liking the looks of the chek-mate bows and i've heard nothing but good things about them
i think im interested in buying one- i'd like to know though, out of those bows which should i be lookin at if im thinkin about bowfishing- a recurve of corse- i hunt too though- so somthing that could serve both purposes possibly...
- so any personal opinions would help
thanks
Craig