HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Leather and scent (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/93688-leather-scent.html)

japeter2 03-11-2005 10:46 PM

Leather and scent

Looking at picking up a new quiver and might go with a leather hip or shoulder one. How does the scent of tanned leather affect game?

mysticguido 03-12-2005 04:16 AM

RE: Leather and scent

smoke it first. The American Indains smoked all the buck skin to help cove there scent. have a nice smoky fire going and place it over it so it doesn't get burned but can get the smoke smell in it.

Arthur P 03-12-2005 06:59 AM

I've been known to warm up some mink oil over low heat til it melts, mix in cedar oil and used that concoction rubbed that into my leather goods to cover the chemical smell. (Hint: Don't use your wife's good cookin' pot for that kinda stuff;)) If I hunted around pine trees, I'd just use Montana Pitch Blend on my leather. It already smells like pine. I also put cedar shavings from the pet store or Wally World in the bottom of my quiver to help keep my broadheads from clanking into each other and add more cedar scent.

No matter what you do you're still gonna stink though, so best course of action is to hunt into or across the wind.

mysticguido 03-12-2005 09:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Arthur P

I've been known to warm up some mink oil over low heat til it melts, mix in cedar oil and used that concoction rubbed that into my leather goods to cover the chemical smell. (Hint: Don't use your wife's good cookin' pot for that kinda stuff;)) If I hunted around pine trees, I'd just use Montana Pitch Blend on my leather. It already smells like pine. I also put cedar shavings from the pet store or Wally World in the bottom of my quiver to help keep my broadheads from clanking into each other and add more cedar scent. No matter what you do you're still gonna stink though, so best course of action is to hunt into or across the wind.

Thanks for that tip I will use it this season

max the dog 03-21-2005 08:28 PM

Cedar shavings, I forgot about that tip. My dad used to fill socks with cedar shaving and put them anywhere he didn't want any odd smells. Boots, sock drawer, you name it.

datamax 03-22-2005 05:38 AM

I worry about the wind and thats all. I can stink like a muddy hog and as long as the wind is in my favor I'll be fine

BobCo19-65 05-03-2005 02:14 PM

Art, did you ever use the montana pitch on a bow string? If so, how did it work?

Arthur P 05-06-2005 07:14 AM

Never used it on a bowstring, Bob, though I've heard of it being done. I've always got plenty of string wax handy. But my guess is it'd work just fine and definitely smell better. Wish they made the stuff in Port Orford cedar scent though. ;)