HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   For the tab shooters: (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/93168-tab-shooters.html)

BobCo19-65 03-08-2005 07:16 AM

For the tab shooters:

I have mostly used a traditional style glove with overlays but often switch to a black widow tab for brief periods. When using the tab, I have been able to get a slightly smoother release. However, I am concerned of the longer term effects from using a tab which really doesn't offer much protection especially around the circumference of the fingers (I'd prefer to keep my finger round). Any long term users of tabs (or even damascus glove shooters) ever have any problems?

FLHunter 03-08-2005 08:06 AM

RE: For the tab shooters:

Bob,

All I use is tabs and haven't had any problems. I don't quite understand your worries about your fingers remaining round. All the pressure is on the finger tip pads near the first finger joint on a deep hook. It should be the same shooting a glove.

BobCo19-65 03-08-2005 08:11 AM

Fl what I was refering to is the flatening of the finger tips. A traditional type glove gives support all the way around the finger and reduces the "flatening" effect. A tab has no support around the finger at all.

Longbow Bowhunter 03-08-2005 08:59 AM

No issue, my fingers are fine. Basically what you use is up to your personal pref. I started with a glove then my release went to pot, and switched to a tab, been with i since.

recurver67 03-08-2005 09:18 AM

I don't believe any glove will keep your finger round. I shoot with a damascus glove , I don't believe it's any smoother then a tab. The BW tab I did use was small, and gave no problems with fingers.

BobCo19-65 03-08-2005 10:12 AM

I think I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean. I'm not really talking about anything during the shot. What I mean is long term effects of not shooting with enough protection on the fingers. Ferguson explains it as developing "paddle fingers". Actually, I have never really witnessed this at all and was wondering if anyone has.

recurver67 03-08-2005 10:37 AM

Sorry for miss understanding, never heard of such a thing. I guess he shoots a lot more than normal.The price he pays for being in the big time.

Guss 03-08-2005 03:28 PM

I shoot a damascus and i like it, but i dont love it. When it is cold my fingures get a little hot, I shoot 1 above an 2 below and my bottom fingure has a good calus on it. All in all the pros out # the cons so I still use it.

gapshot 03-08-2005 07:58 PM

never heard of permanent anatomic changes causing flattening of the fingers from shooting with a tab. The same amount of pressure is applied to the pad on your finger using a glove. The continuous friction over the fingertips can cause the body to respond by producing thicker skin at the site of pressure known as hypertrophy or in other words a callous. This seems more likely to develope using a tab which provides less protection.

Jim

Arthur P 03-09-2005 07:59 AM

Ferguson shoots fairly heavy draw weights, like 70 pounds, and he uses fastflight strings. The combination of those two can really do a number on your fingers. When I shot heavy bows, I used thick tabs and gloves to protect my piddies. No problem getting a clean release with a thick tab and heavy draw weights because the poundage will literally rip the string off your fingerips. With lighter draw weights, I need to feel the string so I can get enough control to execute a clean release. So I use a thin cordovan tab or a damascus glove.