Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Longbow knock point

Old 02-13-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Longbow knock point

What type of knocking point would be good for a longbow? Do I use the metal clamp stlye?

Ty,
Old 02-13-2005, 07:59 PM

Default RE: Longbow knock point

I used the clap on metal type and didnt like them. They cut my glove up and made the string bounce off my fingers. I cut thin strips of elect. tape and used those tell i got were i wanted it, then i tied some string on there. Then I used some flexcement to hold it in place.
Old 02-13-2005, 09:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

you can tie your own nocks and twist these up and down till you achieve desired results then lock them down with duco or super glue, whatever. I make mine out of #4 nylong serving, usually in red so I can find it fast. I dont need to look normally but when I do I want to see it asap.

To tie on, basically do half a over hand knot on one side, then take both tag ends go to the other side either below or above and do another over hand knot, keep gaps to a minimum if you can help it. Tighten each half over hand knot tight but not so tight you wont be able to turn the nock when completed.

Do this 4 to 6 times or until you feel there is enough nock there to your likings. Tie off by starting half a over hand knot and doing 1 or 2 extra turns then pull snug to tight but dont get crazy with it. Cut your tag ends 1/4 or so inches long and burn smooth thus locking your not.

If you've done it right up to here it will be a snug fit and might take a bit of twisting to break it loose, but it will allow you to twist up or down. I dont like it to sloppy, personal preference thing. When you get it where you want it glue it down for good.
Old 02-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Fork Horn

I generally use dental floss to tie my own nocks in place. The serving method that Lilhunter suggests is very nice also. I would probably actually perfer the serving but I normally have dental floss on hand and end up using that.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:26 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

I have tied them on, but usually use a brass (crimp on) nockset for convenience. I've heard of folks have problems with them, but I never have. I don't put them on any special way--no idea why they work for some and not for others.

Chad
Old 02-14-2005, 07:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

I also use a tie on like the one menitoned using serving and a drop of super glue (don't saturate with glue, you don't want it to soak through to the string).
Old 02-14-2005, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

dental floss works but has two downfalls. You cant adjust it when set and it does seem to wear out relatively fast comparable to how much you shoot.

I used to shoot literally every day all year. My nocks would wear out or wear on the bow till I learned to tie them with #4 nylon.

Nothing detracting from dental floss as it works great, just be sure to saturate it well once its in its proper place or it seems to fray quite a bit.

Brass are nice too but growing up riding a bike it would dig into the riser section of my bowz. Plus you needed a tool. Simplicity is a glorious thing . If its not broke dont fix it.