Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Traditional Archery
 how tradtional are you >

how tradtional are you

Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

how tradtional are you

Old 01-18-2005, 08:32 PM

Default RE: how tradtional are you

i just like the recurve over a compound (never shot a longbow but I think I would like it) because there are no sights. I dig the whole instinctive thing, kinda metaphysical "this shouldn't work but it does' kinda deal. I also like that witha recurve there is no let off. It just seems more real and I feel less detached from the whole shooting process.
I use the recurve and aluminum arrows, witha shooting glove and a cheap little quiver.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Fork Horn

Well, I used to shoot arrows that my grandmother whittled for me out of the kindling pile. These were shot from bows that I made with butchers twine and vine maple branches. I moved up to an old 2 piece fibreglas longbow that my Mom brought back from her first "adventure" to Hawaii in the early 50's. She also helped me develop (a vague resemblance to) form. (My Dad wasn't an archer but I learned how to paddle & read rivers from him) The fibreglas stick was replaced by a Ben Pearson ol' Hickory that a neighbour gave me. I now shoot sticks that Mr. M from across the moat makes and my kids are still shooting the old Ben and a small l'bow.

I guess "traditional" for me applies more to one generation getting the next hooked on putting arrows in the air more than anything.

RC
Old 01-25-2005, 02:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I venture to guess that many of the traditional icons of years gone by would have worn camo had it been available for them. I'm thinking of Fred Bear in particular. The commercial aspect of it alone would make it nearly impossible for him to resist. Plain and simply it wasn't available in the 50's and 60's like it is today because technology and those with a vision for the possibilities of the utility of camo just hadn't come on the scene as yet.

Bill
Old 01-25-2005, 05:53 PM

i asked this question a few weeks ago and was wondering
For one i would like to build my own bow
any help on that sites people to contact
Old 01-26-2005, 02:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

geesh Vic, we rarely agree on anything, but you know that was a darn good post!!!!

Who really cares what weapon one chooses to shoot, its not the weapon that makes the hunter, its the nut beind the weapon! Don't segregate me becuase of my stick, I am a bowhunter pure and simple!

I buy factory spined shafts much like our greats of the past have done, assemble them myself, again like much of our greats have done. Have got into doing my own footed shafts, grinding feathers, and knocking on the door step bow building. Have tried knapping, realized it's not for me. Does it make me traditional? Who knows, I just love doing it , and you know, that's all that matters!
Old 01-30-2005, 02:30 PM
mms

I am wanting to get into bow hunting and only want to go the traditional route. I have been trying to learn everything I can but in my home town there are no archery shops or anyone I know who shoots traditional recurve I need to know the what the best bow I can get for the best price, what kind of arrows to use and how to use them. I would appreciate any suggestions.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:42 PM

mms, it sounds like you are in the same situation I was four years ago. I didn't know anyone who shot a traditional bow, and no local archery shop offered anything in the way of traditional supplies. To make matters worse, compound shooters who owned the local shops thought I was nuts. They kept saying things like, "why do you want to shoot a longbow? They aren't accurate and you will never kill anything." I had to order everything online, and visited numerous message boards, but it took me about two years to finally understand the dynamics of how an arrow flies, etc. I'm still getting there. I've even managed to find a few traditional shoots, and found that many of the people at these events were no different than myself. Most of the people into the primitive and traditional scene are very friendly and helpful, but as you said, finding them can be a challenge. I would still reccomend learning from somebody else, rather than going my route. I spent a lot of time frustrated and unhappy with my shooting. Of course, I have never shot a bow, of any sort, when I bought my first longbow. In fact, I bought a fifty lb bow, and injured my rotator cuff after three months.

I think that there are two ways you can go with this route:

1) You could tell us where you live, and somebody might know a good custom bowyer in your area. I've found that locals who make longbows in their spare-time are often cheaper to shop with than commercial vendors. You can also visit them and try out their equipment, they should be able to help you out from there. Give advice on what weight bow, build it to your draw, take into consideration things like practice and form, etc. They can even advise you on what spine weight to use. This is ideal, but to do this, you might have to travel a couple of hours out of town to meet one of these guys. I would search the yellow pages in surrounding towns for archery vendors, and call every one of them and ask about traditional equipment. Lots of archery stores, even compound shops, will offer good made by local craftsman. Try to get that craftsman's telephone number if you find a store that offers these wares.

2) You could look for a good used bow, and if you do this, I would reccomend a less expensive model with a low draw weight. I started too high and hurt myself. I would spare anyone a rotator cuff injury, and if your muscles are new to archery in general, and you go out and shoot 100 arrows, it's very easy to injure yourself with even fifty pounds of weight on the bow. If you can't find a traditional style bow to shoot, ask yourself what style of bow appeals to you the most, and look for that style. You could ask the previous owner what type of arrows it likes. You could also ask around here. One thing I have found with spine, is that the lower the better for me. This is not true for many people I know, so it's probably going to take some experimentation on your part before you find just the right sort of arrow. If you choose to shoot wood arrows, Three Rivers Archery offers a spine tester set of arrows. This is good because you can get eight arrows spined in four different categories of weight. You can even pay a little more and them assemble the arrows for you. I reccomend you do this if you haven't built any arrows on your own. Others may disagree.... You may of course, decide not to use wooden at arrows at all. I have never shot a carbon or aluminum arrow, so I can't help you there.

3) Get a couple of books on the fundamentals of archery. It's best if you don't have to pay for them; the library is a very good option. Failing that, Three Rivers Archery offers books, as well as some other sites on the net. I believe that HorseFeathers.com offers a pretty good selection of books on shooting. Aiming, or lack there of, is not an easy thing for me to reccomend to anyone. Some people will swear by Asbell or Fergusson, or whomever. I will just say this, I really like Byron Ferguson's book, Become the Arrow. It basically teaches you how to gap shoot, and I might take flack for this, but I think it was easier for me to grasp instinctive shooting only after I had understand how my arrows were flying. I no I am not as good of a shot as sommanyof the guys on this board (judging from the group sizes I've seen mentioned), so hopefully they will give you some advice. Both Ferguson's and Asbell's books will give you tips on stance, bow cant, etc. I would read as many books on shooting as I could before actually purchasing a bow (I didn't do this either).

4) Stick around and let these well seasoned gentlemen give you some tips. They probably have a lot more to say on the subject than I do, and I've learned a lot by simply lurking on this board.
Old 01-30-2005, 04:55 PM
mms

well thank you very much for your reply I have looked in to books and have thought about the become the arrow book now I will get it for sure i only have a minute i am being called out to go shopping to answer your question i live in kerrville texas if anyone knows someone around there let me know i will read in further detail later thank you
Old 02-01-2005, 01:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

ya I have a good buddie in Texas and he just happens to be a die hard bowhunter, not to mention a dang good one. I'll see if I can't round him up for ya.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:59 AM

I retired from the Navy Jan 03 and hadnt been hunting in nearly 18 yrs. I have rifles and killed 2 deer last season, But I realy wanted to go hunting with a traditional bow. I search all the sporting goods stores the the area and like othe hunters stated above there is little or nothing. What there is was top end stuff, $400 +. So dove into the internet reading every thing I could on how to make your own stick bow. A year and a half, 5 broken, warped or twisted bows latter, I have a nice 68 inch 58# @28.5 hickory bow. The only thing I had to buy over the net was the bow string, cant find it any where else. I looked to a cabnet maker and lumber mills for the wood, craft stores for the leather handle and lace. For the succesfull bow, it cost me less than $50 in material and 25 hrs start to finish, 2-4 hrs a day for a week and my wife complaining I'm in the shed too much[:@]. The only tools I used was a scraper(large sharp knife), belt sander and various grits of hand sand paper. I've been using carbon arrows, the ceader ones brek to easy for my not so accurate shooting. I'm getting better though, I'm a righty but left eye dominant so I have to compensate by shooting to the right abit. havnt got it down to where I'm satisfied withit yet. Any one out ther have the same issue?
Good luck making your bow, its more satisfiying than going out and buying one I think.
Bryan

Quick Reply: how tradtional are you

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.