HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Aiming at long distances (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/85325-aiming-long-distances.html)

Problem Child 01-05-2005 06:34 PM

Aiming at long distances

I didn't want to hijack the aiming vs instinctive thread, but here is a question kinda in the same ballpark. I shoot at about 23 yards most of the time, and I shoot instinctivly. I do not look at the point of the arrow at all, or line up the shaft. I pick a spot on the target and concentrate. So, when I shoot longer distances, should I concentrate on a spot above the "bullseye", or just concentrate at the "bullseye" and let my bow hand take over and aim higher ??

bigbuck7 01-05-2005 08:47 PM

RE: Aiming at long distances

No you don't need to look higher, but practice practice practice and without even thinking about it your mind will eventually start telling your bow hand where to go.

datamax 01-05-2005 09:02 PM

Are you cross dominant in your vision ?

LBR 01-05-2005 09:31 PM

Try both and see what works best for you. I gap when the distance to the target is approx. 40 yds or more. This won't hinder my hunting, because it's highly unlikely I'll ever take a 40 yd shot when hunting.

Chad

JimPic 01-05-2005 11:52 PM

I'm like Chad-40yds and out and I'll gap shoot(only on targets).Hunting situations,I'm a 25yd and under shooter.

silverbackpete 01-20-2005 01:28 PM

Do you use a range finder?

LBR 01-20-2005 03:02 PM

No range finder here--not legal at tournaments anyhow (not at any I have shot at). I just have a good idea of what 40 yds is--comes with practice.

Chad

silverbackpete 01-21-2005 02:24 AM

Ok, now what about from a tree stand?

LBR 01-21-2005 08:52 AM

Same thing Pete--comes with practice. I won't be taking a 40 yd shot from a treestand at an animal, and don't recally ever having a 40 yd treestand shot at a tournament (yes, we have them--usually from a platform instead of an actual treestand though). When shooting from a stand (or downhill) remember to bend at the waist--don't try to adjust with your shoulder. The distance to the target is the same, regardless if you are level with it, above it, or below it. That can get tricky, as being up high or down low will give the illusion that the shot is farther than it actually is. For instance, if you are up a tree 30 feet and the target is 30 feet from the base of your tree, you are taking a 10 yd shot, not a 20 yd shot.

Practice from every situation you will be hunting from. If you hunt from a stand, set it up and practice from it. The same goes for a blind. Practice shooting while seated, kneeling, etc.

Chad

FLHunter 01-21-2005 01:24 PM

Pickup a copy of Byron Ferguson's book " Become the Arrow" it has alot of good info about gap shooting and aimming.