HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Straight fletching off the shelf?? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/79028-straight-fletching-off-shelf.html)

Problem Child 11-13-2004 09:42 PM

Straight fletching off the shelf??

Is there any reason not to use straight fletching(feathers) instead of helical, shooting off the shelf ??

LBR 11-13-2004 10:22 PM

RE: Straight fletching off the shelf??

Helical is supposed to stablize the arrow faster--if your arrow spine is off a bit, or your release isn't very good, it will help. One of the better shots I know shot straight, and did just fine. I think he's gone to helical though. I've always shot helical, or at least offset--don't see any reason not to.

Chad

Lilhunter 11-17-2004 01:23 AM

Chad, did he shoot straight with broadheads? Or just range stuff? I could see it with a field point much more then bh's.

LBR 11-17-2004 04:45 AM

Broadheads and field points, with 4" fletches. He was better than average though.

Chad

FLHunter 11-17-2004 11:50 AM

I agree with Chad that helical does stabilize the arrow faster if needed. I also think it also has to do with how well your arrows are tuned to the bow and how good is your form release. If your release is real good and your spine is correct it may only take maybe a 3" straight fletch to get great flight. Also a carbon or aluminum arrows are going to be far more consistant spine wise than shooting woodies. So it all depends. Personally I shoot a 5" just offset fletch on my broadhead setups and 4" on my field point arrows.

Troy n Oh 11-19-2004 09:23 AM

I just got a new Longhorn in and went through the tuning process and am now shooting 2016's with straight fletch offset a bit and geting better arrow flight than I have ever gotten before. I just left my jig set the same as I use for my carbons out of my compound. Go with what works for you.

Scoobiedoo 11-22-2004 05:36 PM

My friend & I have tested straight and helical fletch with broadheads. Thunderhead 125's to be exact. They fly pretty well despite the setup but we have found that helical seems to stabilize the arrow better and make our shot groups a little bit tighter.

Problem Child 11-22-2004 08:51 PM

I'm ordering a left helical clamp for my fletcher. That is correct left for a right hand bow ??

LBR 11-22-2004 11:24 PM

I shoot right-handed, and I have clamps and feathers for fletching bow right and left wing. I can't tell any difference in the shooting. Left wing fletching may not wear quite as fast for a right-handed shooter. Just be sure you order left wing feathers for a left-wing jig.

Chad

john49 11-24-2004 09:40 PM

Good topic. A friend and I were just discussing this the other day. I told him I used left helical and he was gonna try straight. Haven't talked to him since to see if he did and how he liked it. John