Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Who uses snuffers?

Old 10-06-2004, 11:05 AM

Default Who uses snuffers?

My arrows weigh about 420 grains and are flying at 175 ft/sec for 29 ft/lbs kinetic energy. Is this enough energy to be using snuffer broadheads?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:21 AM

Default RE: Who uses snuffers?

Personally that arrow weight is awful light sounding depending on what weight the bow is at your draw length. I like about 10gr per Lb of pull. I'm shooting #52 @ 28" and my arrow is a 30" AD Trad Heavy with 5" shield cut feathers and a 200gr Razorcap on the nose, it comes in about 565 grains total and hits pretty hard when it gets there.[:@]
Old 10-06-2004, 11:34 AM

This is a longbow I made myself. It draws 50 lbs at 27" draw. My arrows are 28" 2016 aluminum shafts with 5" shieldcut feathers, helical fletch. The arrows fly beautifully from my bow with no hint of porpoising or fishtailing. I am just second guessing myself as to whether I should have gone with a 2 blade broadhead for more penetration.
Old 10-07-2004, 10:17 AM

Well, I had a chance last evening to find out. I had an easy shot at a doe (Twice!) and shot over her back by a fraction of an inch both times. The first shot was a steep angle shot as she was only about 2 or 3 yards from the base of my tree so I forgave myself for that one. She spooked at the shot and jumped off 20 yards or so and then wandered back over 30 minutes or so. She gave me another shot at 15 yards, broadside and I blew it again @#!$@.

Why is it that I can hit a 3-D target at that distance consistantly but just lose it when I get a shot at the real thing? Frustrating. I have even put my stand up in a tree in my front yard and practiced with the 3-D target with no consistency problems; double lung shots.

On a side note, this doe seemed injured. She was limping heavily favoring her right front leg. That is one reason I picked her to shoot. She had two fawns with her that I also had a shot at but didn't take
Old 10-07-2004, 06:23 PM

#1 - you lost your focus/concentration. The human minds eye will pick the line of the deer back as a focal point every time from what I have heard if your focus is off. I uh, had it happen once

As to the snuffer ........... HOW DO YOU SHRARPEN THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-07-2004, 07:23 PM
JRW
Nontypical Buck

At that weight and speed, if you're dead set on a 3-blade head, I'd suggest the Woodsman over the Snuffer for increased penetration. But to be honest, I'd really suggest a good 2-blade head.
Old 10-08-2004, 07:47 AM

Maybe something like an Ace Standard.........
Old 10-08-2004, 07:52 AM

Well, I am getting ready to try them, just ordered 160 Snuffers and field points this morning, I will get plenty of time to test out on stuff, since I can't hunt with them here in England.
Old 10-08-2004, 08:54 AM

Good point on the focal point thing. I was pretty excited (first deer with my longbow). I couldn't believe she gave me two shots. She was practically begging to die, LOL.

I sharpened the snuffers with a file followed by an Arkansas stone. They are pretty sharp but I still am having trouble getting them sharp enough to easily shave. They will shave with some effort.
ORIGINAL: Stealthycat At Home

#1 - you lost your focus/concentration. The human minds eye will pick the line of the deer back as a focal point every time from what I have heard if your focus is off. I uh, had it happen once

As to the snuffer ........... HOW DO YOU SHRARPEN THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2004, 09:02 AM

Oh, and I ruined one of my snuffers with that second missed shot. The arrow hit a dead log. To avoid bending the arrow, I decided to unscrew it and then pry out the broadhead. I guess I don't know my own strength because I actually twisted the broadhead insert in two, leaving half of it in my arrow insert (DOH!). I then proceeded to bend the crap out of that broadhead while prying it from the log. I didn't realize that the 3 edges of the broadhead are actually separate pieces of steel that taper together to make the point but they are. After finally getting the snuffer out of the log, I found the three edges bent away from each other at the tip giving the appearance of a broadhead with three distinct points, LOL.

I'll have to replace my arrow insert too but at least I didn't bend the arrow (I think).

Quick Reply: Who uses snuffers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.