Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

Who uses snuffers?

Old 10-08-2004, 09:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Who uses snuffers?

99% of the people I meet shooting snuffers or wensel woodsmens are shooting non easily shaving sharp heads. I personally was also not able to get them to where I liked them. I do have a friend who can, however it takes a act of congress and complete powwow to do one head. Factor those stones into your pack on the hunts we do up here and you might as well not go. He used 4 or 5 different things to get them to somewhat shaving sharp. It had a good edge, just needed some fine tuning. He's the ONLY one I've met who can achieve this. Not saying others cant, I havent met them and I cant quite get them there myself either....so I'll keep shooting my trusty zwickeys! Cant beat something I've used for so long and it hasnt failed me yet in any way shape or form!
Old 10-09-2004, 09:12 AM

I have detailed instruction on sharpening Snuffers. I am in the process of executing those instructions (got to find and buy 2 stones today) and I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

I want them scalpel sharp, like a Thunderhead blade.
Old 10-09-2004, 09:29 AM

I shoot the Wensel Woodsmans and have never had a problem getting them shaving sharp. And all I use is a standard mill file. Not hard at to pack an 8" file. Just lay it flat across two blades and have at it. I don't know about the Snuffers but the WW's have to really be worked the first time to get an edge, but after you edstablish that, just one or two light strokes is all that is needed to return it to shaving.
Old 10-10-2004, 02:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pyral,

I must be doing something wrong with the WW and Snuffers. I like the looks of the head but even with a file, I still cant get them spooky sharp.

I havent tried using any of hte lansky style stones on them like you would the file, laying across 2 blades. I might be even better for packability.

The one thing I do know is the guy who did sharpen them, the only way he could get them like he did took a powow and a loader to achieve it. In no way shape or form does it make this system usable for a back pack hunter. I'll have to try the lanskys and let you know how that works out after I hittem with the file. Who nows that just might be enough to get them hair poppin sharp.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:46 AM
Fork Horn

Lilhunter-

They sure are a pain to get the first edge on them. Takes a long time and a couple of files to do a complete hunting set. The secret is to have new sharp files, and a willingness to cut yourself. After you get them sharp it is much easier to touch them up. I wouldn't wast my time so much with them if they weren't such awesome heads. I have only used the 145gr snuffers on game but the wound channel and blood trail was very impressive. Much easier to sharpen most good two blades with a lil'shaver though. It would easily take me 1-2 hours a night for a week to do a half dozen shaving sharp. If there was an easier way I would sure like to learn it.
Old 10-16-2004, 04:48 AM
Typical Buck

Josh, I've found that coloring the edges w/a magic marker & then using a belt sander on em makes short work of the initial part of the sharpening process. BUT BE CAREFUL. Then I mount em on the arrows, spin check/test shoot em, then finish up w/more marker & a 12" mill bastard file. I can get em fairly sharp this way, just not quite as sharp as my 2 blades. I think it's due (at least in part) to the difference in the angle of the bevels between the two head types.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Josh,

You are the ONLY person I've met that can get the spooky sharp, that was after a long powow and bring out some heavy duty gear.

Vic,

I'd be afriad of screwing up the tempering, it doesnt take much to heat them up on a belt sander to a point you are softening metal in a hurry.
Old 10-18-2004, 11:13 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL:

I want them scalpel sharp, like a Thunderhead blade.
Why not use a thunderhead???
Old 10-19-2004, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rich - I do, using carbons. But I made some really nice woods up that I'd like to use and despise the wood adapters.

I could not get the Snuffers sharp enough. "sharp" is a relative word that we all have different definitions of. My Bastard File really works them down well and gets them close - but not quite there.

The search continues for a way to sharpen broadheads scalpel sharp ............
Old 10-25-2004, 06:31 PM
BS

hornbow, listen to what JRW said about using WWs. Unless you shoot a high poundage bow stay away from the big snuffers. A big hole isn't any good if it doesn't penetrate!

Once you get the Hang of it, snuffers are easy to sharpen. Just a wide file and a sharpening steel. The key is not using too much pressure!

From Wenselwoodsman.com are the sharpenig instructions

http://www.wenselwoodsman.com/Sharpening.htm

Quick Reply: Who uses snuffers?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.