HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Filling in screw holes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/73660-filling-screw-holes.html)

D.G. 09-23-2004 03:05 PM

Filling in screw holes

I am new to this forum, but have been hunting traditional for the last 30 yrs. (with the same set up.)
I recently aquired another bow and the previous owner had mounted sight pins and this left screw holes that need to be filled.
What is the best way to repair these screw holes?
Thanks.

arrowsmit 09-23-2004 05:44 PM

RE: Filling in screw holes

You can use wood putty & mix in wood stain until the color matches, then overfill the holes & sand down flush w/the riser after it sets. Personally I think I'd prolly drill the holes out a little bigger & install threaded bushings. Even though you may never use em, the bushing make a much cleaner looking finished job than any filler job I've seen.

D.G. 09-23-2004 07:47 PM

Thanks,
What size threaded bushing would you recommend in order to get the most use out of any attachment?

Arthur P 09-24-2004 07:32 AM

They sell the standard size accessory bushings at 3Rivers supply. But...!

Not all those holes drilled into the bows are for AMO standard mounts. There are lots of bows out there that were around before AMO was ever formed, and even more when sight brackets were slotted. The holes may not be the correct distance apart for them to work with today's accessories. Check the distance between the holes before drilling them out for the bushings.

Lilhunter 09-24-2004 04:04 PM

epoxy and wood dust works very well. Find some wood that is very similar in color, take a random orbital and make some dust, mix it up and do a test on a piece of scrap to see how it drys..you can add colors by using different boards to get it pretty dang close. That or you could drill it out and just plug it if you can find some wood that is close, that might be the easiest of all methods.

Sagittarius 09-24-2004 11:28 PM

Gunstock makers used to recommend taking a piece of the exact same wood the stock was made of and grinding it into a dust, then mixing it with epoxy to fill in holes in a stock, just as Lilhunter suggested.

Sag.

HighDesertWolf 09-25-2004 03:04 AM

I am new to this forum, but have been hunting traditional for the last 30 yrs. (with the same set up.)
I recently aquired another bow and the previous owner had mounted sight pins and this left screw holes that need to be filled.
What is the best way to repair these screw holes?
Thanks.
I'm in the same boat, with a 1953 model #40 fred bear recurve.