Community
Traditional Archery Talk Trad-bows here!

shooting a recurve

Old 09-06-2004, 06:50 PM
Spike

Default shooting a recurve

I posted a note earlier asking ?? about recurves.Well mine came this past wekk and believe me I'm having fun with it.For not ever shooting one before I have a new respect for the guys that do.The bow I have is a Black hawk,I'm shooting 2216 shafts at 28".My biggest ??? is how do you aim it???I know that PRATICE is the main thing and I'm not tooting my horn but I can hold a 6" group so far.Being a compounder I'm used to slapping shafts at 30 yds,At 10 and 15 a 6" group at 20, 25 its a good 6" to 8".How do you aim and be consant at it??I know I am just trying it out but man is it fun,already considering upgrading to the new Hoyt recurve.Thanks for your time any info would be great on this aiming thing .
Old 09-07-2004, 05:52 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: shooting a recurve

Holding a 6" group from 0-25yds is good shooting, even extraordinary for someone who just started. There are several different aiming methods w/a barebow recurve or longbow, including gap, point of aim, & instinctive. Then there are subcatagories of these including split vision, stringwalking, gun barrelling, etc. Sorry, but I'm not skilled enuff to give you any pointers on the various methods, just be sure to keep your shooting form rock solid no matter how you aim.

Maybe someone will chime in w/more info for you, in the meantime it sounds like you're doing great!
Old 09-07-2004, 06:34 AM

Yep. You're shooting well. Basically there is instinctive, where you just focus on a small spot and practice makes you hit it and there is aiming the arrow in some way. Here's Bowsites stickbow suggestions on the aiming methods.

http://www.stickbow.com/features/ind...ature=shooting
Old 09-07-2004, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

There are several books by guys like Ferguson, Asbel and others. Get them all. Try all methods, and just keep shooting. After a while, things will start to click for you. When I am in practice, I know that my arrow will hit the target when I reach my anchor. Then the release just happens, almost without a conscious effort.

Your brain will register the arrow's flight, or trajectory, to the target. With repetition, this becomes second nature. Concentrate on form rather than groups.

Shooting can be so much fun that it is easy to shoot too much at a session, especially for a beginner. That's where you can get in trouble, because as your form breaks down from fatigue, you are reinforcing bad feedback.
Old 09-07-2004, 07:10 AM
LBR
Boone & Crockett

Amazing shooting for someone starting out--evidently the basics from shooting a compound have rolled over to the recurve. You are evidently doing this, conciously or not, but I'm going to say it anyway. Have a consistent anchor, release, and follow through. Get your form well established, then start working on accuracy. Sounds like you are well on your way.

For a book I like "Become the Arrow" by Byron Ferguson, and Ricky Welch's instructional video (Volume II) is good. I don't care for Asbell's method. He makes some good points, but his over-all style can mess up a good shooter--the swing-draw/snap-shoot method is a recipie for inconsistency, especially for someone starting out. Just my opinion, based on watching one of the videos (slow-motion shows Asbell himself not having a consistent anchor) and talking with several folks who have tried it.

Chad
Old 09-08-2004, 03:24 AM
Spike

Thanks to everyone for their replys and advice.I'll see if I can apply some of them.Thanks
Old 09-09-2004, 08:22 PM

I just started shooting my recurve again. I've always shot fingers with a glove. It wasn't going as well as I would like. 8-10 inch groups at 15. I tryed my cobra release and it helped a bunch! Yes..not very traditional but it worked.