HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   recurve? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/71195-recurve.html)

goldenarm 09-02-2004 03:25 AM

recurve?

I just bought a old recurve to see if I could shoot it.I'm a compounder so please bear with me ,cause I don't know much about it.One of my ?? is how do you store it?I know how to take the string off and put it on but do you hang it or lay it on it's side,lay it with the limbs down and the riser up?I don't know but I don't want to mess the limbs up.By the way the bow is a Black Hawk Short bee,#45 62"Thought that I would try one to see if I liked it.Any info would be nice thanks for your time ..

mhogan 09-02-2004 05:54 AM

RE: recurve?

I place two nails about 3 feet apart and hang the bow by the string on them. I don't unstring except to change sting or if the bow will be in a hot car.

kevin1 09-02-2004 07:49 AM

I have a take down recurve that stays in it's padded case when not in use , and a one piece recurve that I keep on top of my gun cabinet with the string on loosely .

JimPic 09-02-2004 10:01 AM

MIne go on a rack,unstrung.

Arthur P 09-02-2004 12:20 PM

Mine hang on a rack, similar to Jim's. I have also stored them laying on their side and slid under the bed, inside a bow sock to protect them from dust bunnies.

Lilhunter 09-02-2004 02:15 PM

my user bows are on pegs hanging unstrung vertically. My non shooters hang parallel...was thinking of putting them on hooks hanging from the ceiling.

My go to bow is left strung as I usually shoot every day or every other day.

I am assuming you are using a stringer and not doing the step through method to string the bow. If not get a stringer before ya break the bow, twist the limbs, or poke your eyes out.

Figure out what the actual draw weight is at your draw length....

I'd get some books, asbells instinctive shooting 1, and fergusons become the arrow. Lots of great how to sections on shooting online....Take them with a grain of salt, what works for me might not work for you, however the basics to shooting archery still apply.

goldenarm 09-02-2004 07:14 PM

Thank you for all the info ,going to the bow shop tomorrow to find some arrows and what nots thanks again

UncleNorby 09-03-2004 07:04 AM

I hang mine vertically, with the bow relaxed.

My advice would be to keep it as simple as possible. Shoot off the shelf before installing any rest. Don't add any gadgets, except perhaps a string silencer. The simpler the better.

When getting started, don't shoot too much at a session. Maybe 30 arrows. Then put it down for a few hours at least. You want to build form, rather than bad habits. Concentrate on form, not grouping your arrows. Groups will come all by themsleves.

Get ready to just enjoy shooting a bow. No gadgets to think about or adjust or tune.

kevin1 09-03-2004 07:10 AM

ORIGINAL: UncleNorby

Get ready to just enjoy shooting a bow. No gadgets to think about or adjust or tune.
Other than yourself ... ;)
That's why I chose a recurve over a compound , once I got the right arrows all I've had to tune is me . My only additions have been String Leeches(but going back to cat whiskers) , a stabilizer , and Limb Savers to make it quieter . I don't know if I'll ever own a compound , I have too much fun shooting trad . :)