HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Traditional Archery (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery-19/)
-   -   Bowfishin! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/traditional-archery/70711-bowfishin.html)

LBR 08-28-2004 11:59 PM

Bowfishin!

I still don't know how to put a picture up, but if anyone wants to volunteer I'll send a few. Went bowfishing last Saturday night with some friends and we had a ball--not the most fish we've ever hit, but the most big ones in one night. Best one was shot by my bud Dan and a friend's 14 year old son, TJ. TJ's arrow pulled out, but Dan managed to boat it--a carp that was well over 50# and 47" long. We know it weighed over 50# because even 13 hours later, several of those in the hot sun, it still weighed 45#. Also stuck several other nice carp, a few big drum, one big buffalo, a decent gar, and some smaller fish.

Also, today my nine year old son officially became a bowfisherman. He's been watching my videos, and his favorite is the Muzzy "Impale a Scale" with Mark Land and Fred Eichler (the other two I have are basically infomercials, but this is a good one). Since he first saw it, he's been wanting to go. Well, plans didn't pan out today due to stormy weather, so I took him to my brother's pond. I figured he'e fling a few at some catfish and maybe get it out of his system for a little while--WRONG! First off, I don't think you can shoot catfish in MS in public water, but can in a private/stocked pond or lake. Second, if you have ever tried to shoot a feeding catfish (yeah, we cheated a bit--no shallows to ease around at this pond) you know how hard it can be--them things can move! This was no feeding frenzy, just an occassional fish poppin up for a mouthful of feed. Anyhow, on his second or third try he made a perfect shot on one--about a 1# fish, perfect for the frying pan. After the one, the catfish buggered for the most part, but the boy has it bad now. He did great, pulling about 30# on his recurve, and the fishing arrow flew better than I ever hoped. He's all set up with his own Shakespeare reel spooled with 90# bowfishing line and a safety slide on his arrow (best deal I've ever seen for bowfishin).

Needless to say, the boy is ruint, and we have a real bowfishing trip planned in a couple of weeks.

Chad

Kip 08-29-2004 08:45 AM

RE: Bowfishin!

Ut oh, hows the little lady gonna handle 2 of you nuts in the same house? Now the two of you are going to team up on her, and be out flinging arrows every chance you get. :D:D Glad to see you are out, having fun.

mshane 08-29-2004 06:37 PM

Chad,

Send them to me and I'll put them up for you.....

LBR 08-30-2004 09:11 PM

mshane, I need your e-mail addy please! Mine is [email protected].

Chad

mshane 08-31-2004 09:05 AM

[email protected]

Sorry bout that....Thought you could send an e-mail from my profile[:@]